Finding Important Quotes in Hamlet Act 4

In summary, Claudius places a pearl in Hamlet's cup, hoping that he will drink from it and die. Claudius is speaking to Hamlet from behind, and is saying that his offense is rank and that it smells to heaven. The pearl has the primal eldest curse upon it, and the last line is "I'll throw down the gauntlet then, mapper: provide an analysis of Claudius' monologue with Hamlet standing behind him contemplating murder.."
student101
This may seem like a stupid question to ask, but i kind of have a test tonight. Is there a free site where can i find maybe a list of important quotes in hamlet (act 4 in particular)? i tried sparknotes, but they have very few quotes. Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Get thee to a nunnery!
Life's but a candle; aye that's the rub..much ado about nothing, really..

Why don't you read Act 4? It shouldn't take that long. If you have already used sparknotes, you can't get much better than what they have - sparknotes has the most important information and theme analysis.

I've read it, but i have quote identification on the test. There's no way i can memorize the entire thing! That's why i want to find some quotes that may probably be put on this test.

I have a funny story about learning hamlet back in school.

When I was in grade 10 I was in a split class room with grade 11 students. Rather then the teacher teach 2 diff Shakespeare stories for each class they decided to teach Hamlet to both 10 and 11, then next year the would learn Mid Summers night dream or something. Killing 2 Birds with one stone, so to speak.

I hated it and did terrible my first time through it. Next year when I was grade 11 our school district made a rule that Hamlet was to be taught no matter what for grade 11 language class. Already had all my old essays and going through it again with a much better teacher made me appreciate it all the much more. I was getting really good at it too.

Then I moved to Edmonton in grade 12. Wouldn’t you guess it, Hamlet was being taught for our grade 12 English class. Having 2 years experience with Hamlet I was pretty knowledgeable about this story and aced ever assignment and test the teacher could possibly through at us.

Hell, I knew more about the story and all its metaphors and symbolisms then the teacher did lol. Still do to this day. Moral of the story? Well, if there is one it would be… If you study it for 3 years, you will eventually understand any Shakespearian play…

I'll throw down the gauntlet then, mapper:
Provide an analysis of Claudius' monologue with Hamlet standing behind him contemplating murder..:wink:

ahh, remember that well. Its been 10 years too! But really need to get back to work. Another time perhaps. :wink:

Sorry to rain in your parade, lol. Anyways...anything important in act 4?

student101 said:
Sorry to rain in your parade, lol. Anyways...anything important in act 4?
Read it yourself, and find out what you deem important.

Hamlet - scene analysis

Just curious...in the last act during the duel, Claudius places a pearl in Hamlet's cup. What is important about this, besides the fact that it identifies the cup as Hamlet's (as Claudius hopes that Hamlet will drink from it)?

I believe the pearl is what contained the poison. my teacher (crazy as she is) explained it as, "back then, they had all sorts of things that they hollowed out so they could hide stuff in", so when he droped the pearl in, he poisoned it for hamlet, he couldn't very well take out a bottle marked "poison" and pour it in right in front of him.

arildno,

"I'll throw down the gauntlet then, mapper:
Provide an analysis of Claudius' monologue with Hamlet standing behind him contemplating murder.."

I'll take that challenge! You mean the one that begins:

"My offense is rank, it smells to heaven.
It hath the primal eldest curse upon it...

What's the last line? (and no peeking!)

jdavel said:
arildno,

"I'll throw down the gauntlet then, mapper:
Provide an analysis of Claudius' monologue with Hamlet standing behind him contemplating murder.."

I'll take that challenge! You mean the one that begins:

"My offense is rank, it smells to heaven.
It hath the primal eldest curse upon it...

What's the last line? (and no peeking!)
Sure, as long as you provide a good analysis of the quoted lines..

Related to Finding Important Quotes in Hamlet Act 4

What is the significance of the quotes in Act 4 of Hamlet?

The quotes in Act 4 of Hamlet serve to further develop the themes and characters within the play. They also reveal important plot points and motivations for the characters' actions.

How do I identify important quotes in Act 4 of Hamlet?

To identify important quotes in Act 4 of Hamlet, pay attention to the language and tone used by the characters, as well as the context in which the quote is spoken. Look for quotes that reveal key information about the characters or advance the plot.

What are some examples of important quotes in Act 4 of Hamlet?

Some important quotes in Act 4 of Hamlet include Hamlet's famous soliloquy "To be, or not to be," which reveals his inner turmoil and contemplation of suicide. Another important quote is when Gertrude says "The lady doth protest too much, methinks," which foreshadows her own guilt and involvement in the murder of King Hamlet.

Why are quotes from Act 4 of Hamlet still relevant today?

The themes and ideas explored in Act 4 of Hamlet, such as revenge, insanity, and morality, are still relevant in modern society. The quotes in this act continue to resonate with audiences because they reflect universal human experiences and emotions.

How can analyzing quotes from Act 4 of Hamlet enhance my understanding of the play?

Analyzing quotes from Act 4 of Hamlet can provide deeper insights into the characters' motivations and the overall themes of the play. It can also help readers make connections and draw conclusions about the plot and the characters' relationships.