Finding impedance that is unit step function

In summary, the problem requires finding an impedance, Z2, for a circuit with an open switch that becomes a unit step function of voltage when the switch is closed. The solution is not unique and requires using KVL, KCL, and V=IR. The transfer function, Vout/Vin, must have equal real and imaginary components or a reactance of 0 to be frequency independent.
anol1258

Homework Statement

Consider the following circuit which uses ideal components. Prior to t=0 switch S is open. Then suddenly at t=0 switch S is closed. Find the impedance [itex]Z_{2}[/itex] such that the system output is a unit step function of voltage. Be certain to show all components used to construct [itex]Z_{2}[/itex] and their connections along with component values of your design.
Z1 is Given
circuit:
9.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL, V=IR,

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing yet. Just wanted to get this up here for now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The output will not be a UNIT step function unless the input voltage is > 1V.

The solution furthermore is not unique. You can say pick any R2, then X2 is defined as is the voltage gain < 1.
Where Z1 = R1 + jX1 and Z2 = R2 + jX2.

Ok I understand why the input voltage has to be > 1V. So how should I start this out? Can I connect the two grounds and do a loop equation?

anol1258 said:
Ok I understand why the input voltage has to be > 1V. So how should I start this out? Can I connect the two grounds and do a loop equation?

The two grounds are already connected, by definition.

Let Z1 = R1 + jX1, Z2 = R2 + jX2, then you have a voltage divider Vout/Vin = Z1/(Z1 + Z2). In terms of the real vs. the imaginary components of that transfer function, what has to be true to make the transfer function independent of frequency?

real and imaginary must be equal?

or reactance is 0?

anol1258 said:
or reactance is 0?

Much better! Come up with a Z2 such that the transfer function Z1/(Z1 + Z2) has no frequency sensitivity.

Related to Finding impedance that is unit step function

1. What is impedance and why is it important in electrical circuits?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in an electrical circuit. It is important because it determines how much current can flow through a circuit and how much voltage is required to drive that current.

2. How do you find the impedance of a unit step function?

To find the impedance of a unit step function, you will need to use the Laplace transform. First, take the Laplace transform of the unit step function, then divide the resulting expression by the Laplace transform of the current or voltage in the circuit. This will give you the impedance as a function of frequency.

3. What is a unit step function and how is it used in electrical circuits?

A unit step function is a mathematical function that represents a sudden change in a signal from zero to one. It is used in electrical circuits to simulate a sudden change in the input signal, such as turning on a switch or activating a transistor.

4. Can the impedance of a unit step function be negative?

No, the impedance of a unit step function cannot be negative. Impedance is a measure of resistance and reactance in an electrical circuit, and both of these values can only be positive. A negative impedance would imply that the circuit is generating power, which is not possible.

5. How does the impedance of a unit step function affect the performance of an electrical circuit?

The impedance of a unit step function affects the performance of an electrical circuit by determining how much current can flow through the circuit and how much voltage is required to drive that current. A low impedance circuit will allow more current to flow and require less voltage, while a high impedance circuit will restrict current flow and require more voltage.