Finding Image Distance on Spherical Mirror w/ Object 79cm Away

In summary, the object distance is from 0 to 45 cm on the x-axis and the image distance is from -400 to 400 cm on the y-axis. The graph resembles the function 1/x. Using the given equation, the image distance is calculated to be +31.5 cm when the object is on the central axis and 79 cm from the mirror.
michellerrr

Homework Statement

An object is placed against the center of a spherical mirror and then moved 79 cm from it along the central axis as the image distance i is measured. Figure 34-35 gives i versus object distance p out to ps = 45 cm. What is the image distance when the object is on the central axis and 79 cm from the mirror?

The image distance is the y-axis from -400 to 400cm. The object distance is from 0 to ps on the x-axis. The graph looks like a graph of the function 1/x.

Homework Equations

1/f=1/p+1/i

The Attempt at a Solution

1/22.5=1/79+1/i
i= +31.5cm

Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first check the given information and make sure it is accurate and complete. I would also check the units and make sure they are consistent. Assuming everything is correct, your answer appears to be correct based on the given equation and information. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. Additionally, it would be helpful to include your units in the final answer for clarity. Overall, great job on solving the problem!

Related to Finding Image Distance on Spherical Mirror w/ Object 79cm Away

1. What is the equation for finding image distance on a spherical mirror with an object 79cm away?

The equation for finding image distance on a spherical mirror with an object 79cm away is 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the mirror, do is the distance of the object from the mirror, and di is the distance of the image from the mirror.

2. How do I determine the focal length of a spherical mirror?

The focal length of a spherical mirror can be determined by using the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where do is the distance of the object from the mirror and di is the distance of the image from the mirror. You can also measure the distance from the center of the mirror to the focal point using a ruler or measuring tape.

3. Can the image distance be negative?

Yes, the image distance can be negative. A negative image distance indicates that the image is formed behind the mirror, meaning it is a virtual image. A positive image distance indicates that the image is formed in front of the mirror, meaning it is a real image.

4. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen and is formed when rays of light actually converge at the location of the image. It is always inverted compared to the object and can be captured by a camera or seen with the naked eye. On the other hand, a virtual image is an image that cannot be projected onto a screen and is formed when rays of light appear to converge at a location, but do not actually do so. It is always upright compared to the object and cannot be captured by a camera or seen with the naked eye.

5. What factors can affect the image distance on a spherical mirror?

The image distance on a spherical mirror can be affected by factors such as the distance of the object from the mirror, the focal length of the mirror, and the curvature of the mirror. The type of mirror (concave or convex) and the size of the object can also affect the image distance. In addition, any external factors such as obstructions or distortions can also impact the image distance.