Finding IA After a Long-Closed Switch: A Homework Problem

In summary, the problem is that the switch shown in figure 1 opens at t=0, but the homework equation doesn't seem to work. After some experimentation, it was determined that the voltage source must be removed from the tgreater diagram in order to find Req. The current through the inductor and the capacitor can then be used to find Ia initial and Ia final.
ChillFreeze

Homework Statement

The problem is:
After being closed for along time, the switch shown in figure 1 opens at t=0. Find IA for all time.

Homework Equations

I believe it would be i(t)=Ioe^(-t/(CReq)) or i(t)=(Q/P)+Ae^(-Pt)
Q/p=Vo/r and 1/p is time constant or t/(CReq)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find that if i label the inductor as Vc i find the voltage as 0 at time 0 because the capacitor becomes a short over a long period of time. I get what is in t<0 and when t>0 . I believe i need to find Req but the problem is how do i find that with the wire between the two resistors? Or is it just the 1k ohms anyway? After finding Req i know that I=if+in and in=Ke^(t/(CReq). t>0 and if=10/2000=1/200 so i=(1/200)+Ke^(t/(CReq) t>0 now i think i need to find out the current so that i can have whatever current i get say B so B=1/200 + K the K = B-1/200
so that it means i=(1/200)+(K)e^(t/CReq) Then using B (current) for all t i=B+B(1-e^(-t/CReq)u(t)

So how do i find what i called B and how do i find the original Req?
Thanks to whoever can help me. Also i placed the original diagram, the t>0 and t<0 diagrams as well. Thanks again

Attachments

• circuit.ZIP
    21.9 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
well the t<0 t>0 are my own...so that is what i think is right.

Well, you can simply remove the voltage source in your tgreater diagram to find Req. It's just two parallel resistors in series with a third. This and the cap value will give you your time constant. From there you just need Ia initial and Ia final. You know that eventually the cap is going to be an open circuit, so all of the 10v will be traveling through the left two resistors. What does this tell you about Ia final?

Ia initial is a tad trickier, but not bad. You know that the cap was an open circuit at t=0- and that it's set across a short circuit with no voltage drop. So what does this tell you about the cap's voltage? At time t=0+ the cap acts as a short circuit, so it should be a simple task to find the voltage across the 3k resistor and the corresponding current. With these values in hand, you should be able to answer this question.

Hope it helps.

I wouldn't put your diagrams in a zip next time. You'll probably get more and faster help.

Thanks, i will keep that in mind for next time, they were to big so i just put them in a zip to make them fit. Thanks again

Related to Finding IA After a Long-Closed Switch: A Homework Problem

What is the purpose of "Finding IA After a Long-Closed Switch: A Homework Problem"?

The purpose of this problem is to practice applying the principles of IA (instantaneous acceleration) to a real-life scenario. It also helps to reinforce the concept of finding the derivative of a position function.

What is IA and why is it important to understand in physics?

IA (instantaneous acceleration) is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time. It is important to understand in physics because it helps us to describe and predict the motion of objects in real-world scenarios.

What are the steps to solving "Finding IA After a Long-Closed Switch: A Homework Problem"?

The steps to solving this problem include: identifying the given information, determining the position function, finding the velocity function by taking the derivative of the position function, and then finding the IA at the specific time given in the problem.

What are some common mistakes when solving this type of problem?

Some common mistakes when solving this type of problem include: not identifying the correct position function, forgetting to take the derivative to find the velocity function, and not considering the units when finding the IA.

How can "Finding IA After a Long-Closed Switch: A Homework Problem" be applied in real life?

This problem can be applied in real life situations where an object experiences a change in velocity due to a sudden switch or turn. For example, it can be used to calculate the IA of a car when it changes lanes or a rollercoaster when it goes through a loop.