Finding I1, I2, and power dissipated

In summary, the homework equation says that when three resistors are put in parallel, the voltage across each resistor is the same. However, when using this equation, the student got two different answers--one for I1 and one for I2. The student is still not sure why this is the case.
Josh225

Homework Statement

See attatched image

Homework Equations

I am assuming to use the current divider rule... But when I use it, I do not get the correct answer

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 .. When I used this I got Rt= 2.18 ohms

I also tried Is= E/Rt... 24/2.18 =11 AI am not sure what to try next..

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160706_161407.jpg
    20160706_161407.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
How many volts are across each resistor?

Likes Josh225
The Electrician said:
How many volts are across each resistor?
To do that, I would have to apply ohms law: V= I x R , right?

So, i would need to find "I" so I= V/R

12 ohms = 24 v / 12 ohms = 2A
8 ohms = 24 v/ 8 ohms = 3 A
4 ohms = 24v / 4 ohms = 6 A

So now.. V= I x R

12 ohms : 2 A x 12 ohms = 24 Volts
8 ohms : 3 A x 8 ohms = 24 volts
4 ohms: 6 A x 4 ohms = 24 volts

Yeah... That can't be right. My brain must be dead right now or something

Josh225 said:
Yeah... That can't be right.
Why? It is wrong but why do you think that can't be right? Is there something wrong with the method or the numbers? See the diagram carefully.

Likes Josh225
Josh225 said:
To do that, I would have to apply ohms law: V= I x R , right?
Nope, just look more closely at the diagram, as others are hinting.
You've been using 24V, that would be correct if the other side of the resistors were at 0V but that's not what the diagram shows...

Likes Josh225 and Delta2
Delta V.jpg

Delta V-2.jpg

Likes Josh225
I think I see where to go now. I would have to add the 24 V and -8 V to get 32 Volts. Right?

That's it . Good !

Strange.. So I after I determined that 32 volts went across, I applied the formula Is= E (32)/ Rt (2.18) and got 14.67 A.. Which is the correct answer for both I1 and I2. I don't understand why though since I was calculating for the source current and got the correct answer. I am kind of at that stage where I am seeing which formulas work, and then seeing why afterwards.

I think I get the correct answer because the 12ohm resistor goes with I2 and the 8 ohm and 4 ohm resistor (8+4=12) goes with I1.. So both equal 12 ohms. But that isn't always going to be the case. I didn't really arrive at the answer intentionally either.

Then for the power dissipated by the 4 ohm resistor, I just do Px=V^2/Rx ... Px= 32^2 / 4 ohms = 256 Watts

Josh225 said:
I just do Px=V^2/Rx ... Px= 32^2 / 4 ohms = 256 Watts
That's ok .

The diagram supplied with the problem is not very good . Try drawing a new diagram using modern conventions for the layout and symbols .
Two horizontal lines for the power rails with the three resistances set vertically between them . Imagine a ladder on it's side .

Your original method of finding the equivalent resistance and hence the total current is perfectly good .
You could also have found the total current by adding up the individual resistance currents .

Nidum said:
That's ok .

The diagram supplied with the problem is not very good . Try drawing a new diagram using modern conventions for the layout and symbols .
Two horizontal lines for the power rails with the three resistances set vertically between them . Imagine a ladder on it's side .

Your original method of finding the equivalent resistance and hence the total current is perfectly good .
You could also have found the total current by adding up the individual resistance currents .
Oh nice! Yeah, that involves a little less mess. But how do I know that BOTH I1 and I2 equal the same amount?

Oh... Current going in = the current going out...

That's it .

Thank you!

Josh225 said:
Then for the power dissipated by the 4 ohm resistor, I just do Px=V^2/Rx ... Px= 32^2 / 4 ohms = 256 Watts
There is many ways in finding power dissipation--you can also do Px=(Iacross-4Ω)2 x R where
Iacross-4Ω= 36 volts / 4Ω = 8 Amps (since they are in parallel connection, voltage is same across each resistor!)
Then square this and multiply it by the 4Ω..
and still get the correct answer--just pointing out the many different techniques in circuit analysis. :oldsmile:

Aristotle said:
There is many ways in finding power dissipation--you can also do Px=(Iacross-4Ω)2 x R where
Iacross-4Ω= 36 volts / 4Ω = 8 Amps (since they are in parallel connection, voltage is same across each resistor!)
Then square this and multiply it by the 4Ω..
and still get the correct answer--just pointing out the many different techniques in circuit analysis. :oldsmile:
Thanks! :) I've added that to my bag of tricks.

Related to Finding I1, I2, and power dissipated

1. What is the equation for finding current (I) in a circuit?

The equation for finding current in a circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do I find the individual currents (I1 and I2) in a parallel circuit?

To find the individual currents in a parallel circuit, you can use the equation I1 = (V/R1) and I2 = (V/R2), where V is the total voltage in the circuit and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the individual branches.

3. What is the formula for calculating power dissipated in a circuit?

The formula for calculating power dissipated in a circuit is P = I^2 * R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms.

4. Can I use the same formula to find power dissipated in both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, the formula P = I^2 * R can be used to calculate power dissipated in both series and parallel circuits. However, in parallel circuits, you will need to use the individual currents for each branch to calculate the total power dissipated.

5. How does increasing resistance affect the power dissipated in a circuit?

Increasing resistance in a circuit will decrease the power dissipated. This is because the higher the resistance, the lower the current, and according to the power formula (P = I^2 * R), as current decreases, power also decreases. This is why high resistance components, such as resistors, are commonly used to control the power in a circuit.