Finding i(t) in a Circuit with Phasors: Introductory Exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses finding i(t) in a circuit with a voltage source v_s and components X_C and X_L. Using basic phasor and divider equations, the speaker divided the source between R and the parallel of C and the series of L and R. Solving for i(t) with given values, the speaker obtained a cosine wave with a phase of -2.68, which is different from the expected -0.46. It is possible that the given voltage source phase was intended to be a negative phase shift.
okh

Homework Statement

In this circuit, find [itex]i(t)[/itex], knowing that [itex]v_s= 2 \cos \left(w x+\frac{\pi }{2}\right)[/itex], and that, at the source's frequency, [itex]X_C= -1 Ω[/itex] and [itex]X_L = 1 Ω[/itex].
rh33b6.jpg

Homework Equations

Basic phasors and dividers equations.
[itex]Z_C = jX_C[/itex]
[itex]Z_L = jX_L[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used dividers. The source divides between R and the parallel of C and the series of L and R.
[itex]
I=\frac{Z_C v_s \left(Z_L+R\right)}{\left(Z_L+R\right) \left(Z_C+Z_L+R\right) \left(\frac{Z_C \left(Z_L+R\right)}{Z_C+Z_L+R}+R\right)}[/itex]
Solving with [itex] R=1, Z_c=-j, Z_l=j, v_s=2j [/itex] I get [itex]i(t)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}*cos(wt+0.46)[/itex], while the correct phase should be [itex]-2.68[/itex]. Basically I get the symmetrical cosine wave with respect to the x axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your result. It seems that they took the given voltage source phase ##\pi/2## to be a negative phase shift for some reason.

Thank you. Yeah, that may be the reason.

Related to Finding i(t) in a Circuit with Phasors: Introductory Exercise

What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal wave. It is often used in electrical engineering and physics to simplify the analysis of AC circuits.

Why do we use phasors?

Phasors allow us to represent sinusoidal signals as a single complex number, making it easier to perform mathematical operations and analyze circuits. They also help us understand the behavior of AC circuits more intuitively.

How do you convert between phasor and time domain representations?

To convert from phasor to time domain representation, you can use the inverse Fourier transform. To convert from time domain to phasor representation, you can use the Fourier transform.

What is the difference between a real and imaginary phasor?

A real phasor has an amplitude and phase that are both real numbers, while an imaginary phasor has an amplitude and phase that are both imaginary numbers. A complex phasor has both real and imaginary components.

How do you add and subtract phasors?

To add or subtract phasors, you can use the rectangular or polar form of the phasors. In rectangular form, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary components separately. In polar form, you can use the magnitude and angle of the phasors to add or subtract them.