Finding how much a 5 cm pad compresses when an egg hits it

• Thread starter MelloDramatic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, a 56.0 g egg falls 120.0 m from rest and hits a 5.00 cm thick foam pad, compressing it. The downward motion of the egg is stopped in 6.25 ms. Using conservation of energy and assuming constant upward acceleration, the pad is compressed by approximately 12 m. The value of the upward acceleration due to the foam pad is not needed.
MelloDramatic

Homework Statement

A 56.0 g egg falls 120.0 m from rest and hits a 5.00 cm thick foam pad. The egg does not break, but instead compresses the foam pad. It is 6.25 ms from the moment the egg hits the foam ad until all downward motion (falling) is stopped. Assuming there is a constant upward acceleration due to the compressing of the foam pad, how much is the pad compressed?

m= 56.0 g; delta y= 12 m; pad= 5.00 cm; delta t= 6.25 ms; a= -9.81 m/s2

Homework Equations

m1v1,i+m2v2,i=m1v1,f + m2v2,f; KE= 1/2mv2; F(delta t)= delta P

I really have no idea what to do in this case, and I need to get this equation done. It's the last one on my set. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try using conservation of energy to get the speed of the egg at the moment of impact and then use that to get the acceleration of the egg.

You just made my life so much easier! Thank you!

MelloDramatic said:
You just made my life so much easier! Thank you!
Are you sure that your problem statement contains all the relevant information? Perhaps the value of the upward acceleration due to the foam pad is missing?

gneill said:
Are you sure that your problem statement contains all the relevant information? Perhaps the value of the upward acceleration due to the foam pad is missing?

Nope. This information is not required. Here's a hint: the deceleration time is given, and a constant force is assumed. :wink:

To the original poster: is it 120.0 m or 12 m? You've written both of these in two different places. The latter gives me an answer that works. The former does not (i.e. the pad will not be thick enough).

cepheid said:
Nope. This information is not required. Here's a hint: the deceleration time is given, and a constant force is assumed. :wink:

Ah yes. How late-night-fuzzy-headed of me. Thanks.

Related to Finding how much a 5 cm pad compresses when an egg hits it

1. How do you measure the compression of the pad?

The compression of the pad can be measured by using a ruler or caliper to measure the thickness of the pad before and after the egg hits it. The difference in thickness will indicate the amount of compression.

2. What type of pad should be used for this experiment?

A pad made of a soft material, such as foam or sponge, would be ideal for this experiment as it will easily compress upon impact from the egg.

3. How should the egg be dropped onto the pad?

The egg should be dropped from a consistent height, using a device such as a meter stick or ruler, to ensure consistent results. It is also important to drop the egg in a vertical motion to avoid any unwanted horizontal forces.

4. What factors can affect the compression of the pad?

The type of pad, the material of the egg, and the height from which the egg is dropped can all affect the compression of the pad. Other factors such as temperature and humidity may also play a role. It is important to keep these factors consistent for accurate results.

5. What applications can this experiment have?

This experiment can have applications in understanding the impact and force of objects on various materials. It can also be used to test the effectiveness of protective gear, such as helmets or knee pads, in reducing impact force. Additionally, it can be used in engineering and product design to determine the durability and strength of materials under different impact forces.