Finding horizontal range from projectile.

In summary, the shell is fired with an initial speed of 1670m/s at an angle of 51° to the horizontal. Neglecting air resistance, the horizontal range can be found using the equation range = v^2*sin(2*theta)/gravity. The time of flight can be found by doubling the time it takes to reach the maximum height, which can be calculated using the vertical component of velocity and acceleration due to gravity.
shizupple

Homework Statement

A shell is fired from the ground with an initial speed of 1670m/s at an initial angle of 51° to the horizontal
(a) Neglecting air resistance, find the shell's horizontal range.
(b) Find the amount of time the shell is in motion.

Homework Equations

dx=vi+.5at^2
dv=.5(vi+vf)t
v=dx/dt
a=dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pythagorean theorem to find x and y components:
velocity(x)= 1051m/s
velocity(y)= 1298m/s

I divided the vertical component by acceleration due to gravity to get:
1298/9.81= 132s

I multiplied the time it was in the air by the horizontal component to get:
1051x132= 138732m

I got the wrong answers. I feel like this should work. I think it might be a bit more complicated. Maybe I need to rewrite one of the kinematic equations in terms of sins and cos use substitution to find one of the variables? Some direction on what to do would be great! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The time t you have found is to reach the maximum height. The time of flight is twice this time. The range is v(x)*2t.

rl.bhat said:
The time t you have found is to reach the maximum height. The time of flight is twice this time. The range is v(x)*2t.

Awesome thanks!

you can also find out the range using the equation

range = v^2*sin(2*theta)/gravity

Related to Finding horizontal range from projectile.

1. How do you calculate the horizontal range of a projectile?

The horizontal range of a projectile is determined by using the formula R = Vx * t, where R is the horizontal range, Vx is the horizontal velocity of the projectile, and t is the time of flight.

2. What is the horizontal velocity of a projectile?

The horizontal velocity of a projectile is the component of the initial velocity that is parallel to the ground. It can be calculated using the formula Vx = V * cos(theta), where V is the initial velocity and theta is the angle of launch.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the horizontal range?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the horizontal range of a projectile. The maximum horizontal range will be achieved when the angle of launch is 45 degrees.

4. What factors can affect the horizontal range of a projectile?

The horizontal range of a projectile can be affected by several factors including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the height of the launch point. Other factors such as wind and uneven terrain can also have an impact.

5. Can the horizontal range of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the horizontal range of a projectile can be negative in some cases. This occurs when the projectile is launched at an angle greater than 90 degrees, causing it to travel backwards. It can also happen when the projectile is launched from a higher point and lands at a lower point.