Finding Height With Projectile Motion

In summary, to find the height of a building based on a brick thrown upward from the top of the building with an angle of 10.1 degrees above the horizontal and an initial speed of 6.74 m/s, the equation y = yi + viyt + 0.5gt^2 can be used. It is important to carefully determine the initial vertical velocity using trigonometry and to use the correct signs in the equation.
Slovan

Homework Statement

A brick is thrown upward from the top of a
building at an angle of 10.1◦
above the horizontal and with an initial speed of 6.74 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.
If the brick is in flight for 2.5 s, how tall is
the building?
Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

x=vix*t
y=viy*t+.5*g*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

y=viy*t+.5*g*t^2
=(((1/2(9.8m/s^2))2.5s^2)
=30.625m
The answer is incorrect, what have I done wrong in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple things:

The equation you want to use should be y = yi + viyt + 0.5gt2

Also, you do not seem to be using viy in the incorrect equation you are using.

What lewando said and be careful with the signs.

Slovan said:

Homework Statement

A brick is thrown upward from the top of a
building at an angle of 10.1◦
above the horizontal and with an initial speed of 6.74 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.
If the brick is in flight for 2.5 s, how tall is
the building?
Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

x=vix*t
y=viy*t+.5*g*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

y=viy*t+.5*g*t^2
=(((1/2(9.8m/s^2))2.5s^2)
=30.625m
The answer is incorrect, what have I done wrong in my calculations?

I think you have completely misunderstood the formulas you are trying to use. What became of "viy*t"? You understand that the initial upward velocity is NOT 0 don't you?n What do you think "a brick is thrown upward" means. And you have not used the fact that it is thrown at "an angle of 10.1 degrees above the horizontal". What does that mean and how does it affect your formula?

Likes 1 person
lewando said:
A couple things:

The equation you want to use should be y = yi + viyt + 0.5gt2

Also, you do not seem to be using viy in the incorrect equation you are using.

Thanks for the reply. But I do not get where yi came from? Can you please explain to me.

HallsofIvy said:
I think you have completely misunderstood the formulas you are trying to use. What became of "viy*t"? You understand that the initial upward velocity is NOT 0 don't you?n What do you think "a brick is thrown upward" means. And you have not used the fact that it is thrown at "an angle of 10.1 degrees above the horizontal". What does that mean and how does it affect your formula?

Thanks for the reply. I see that my mistake here is that i assumed viy would automatically equal 0 and that I mixed it up. I also assumed when the problem said the brick is thrown upward it meant being thrown at an angle of 10.1 degrees forming a sort of triangle till it reaches its peak. So what I think it means is that i have to calculate the x distance traveled and the y distance traveled using sin and cos. Am I on the right track?

I would define:

yi as the initial height.

y as the height at time t.
There are variations of this equation that could lead to confusion.

d = viyt + 0.5at2, where d = y - yi
Also, as CWatters pointed out, be careful with signs. The equation I posted:

y = yi + viyt + 0.5gt2

as written, uses "g" as -9.81m/s2
forming a sort of triangle till it reaches its peak.
No triangles in projectile motion.

The x-distance and the x-component of the initial velocity, vix are not important. The y-component of the initial velocity, viy is important. Can you determine what viy is? Yes, a trig function applies.

So what I think it means is that i have to calculate the x distance traveled and the y distance traveled using sin and cos. Am I on the right track?

No.

You use trig to work out the vertical component of the initial velocity and plug that into an equation of motion.

In this particular problem you can ignore what's happening in the horizontal plane. They only ask for the height of the tower not the horizontal distance travelled.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but how would I find the y-velocity? And if I do I would have to do
y-velocity divided by 6.74 m/s times cos10.1?

The initial velocity is given as 6.74m/s in a direction 10.1° (assumed above the horizontal).

This velocity vector can be represented as the sum of two vector components: one in the x-axis direction (horizontal) and another in the y-axis direction (vertical).

Your job is to find the one in the y-axis direction. Here is a good refresher link:
http://hotmath.com/hotmath_help/topics/components-of-a-vector.html

Likes 1 person
6.74 m/s times cos10.1

Close. That would be the horizontal velocity not the initial vertical velocity.

Likes 1 person
Ok thanks guys, I was finally able to solve it! Thanks for your time guys!

Related to Finding Height With Projectile Motion

1. How can I find the height of an object using projectile motion?

To find the height of an object using projectile motion, you will need to know the initial velocity, launch angle, and time of flight. From there, you can use the equation h = v0sinθt - 1/2gt2, where h is the height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, t is the time of flight, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can projectile motion be used to find the height of an object at any point in its trajectory?

Yes, projectile motion can be used to find the height of an object at any point in its trajectory as long as you know the necessary parameters (initial velocity, launch angle, and time of flight) and use the correct equation for height: h = v0sinθt - 1/2gt2.

3. Is there a difference between the maximum height and the final height of an object in projectile motion?

Yes, the maximum height refers to the highest point in an object's trajectory, while the final height is the height at the end of the object's trajectory. The final height will typically be lower than the maximum height, as the object will experience a downward acceleration due to gravity as it falls back to the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect the height calculated in projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the height calculated in projectile motion by reducing the vertical velocity of an object and therefore decreasing its maximum height. However, this effect is typically minimal for small objects and short distances, so it is often neglected in calculations.

5. Can projectile motion be used to find the height of an object thrown on an incline?

Yes, projectile motion can still be used to find the height of an object thrown on an incline. However, the launch angle and initial velocity will need to be adjusted to account for the incline, and the equation for height will also need to be modified. It is important to consider the angle of the incline and how it affects the launch angle and initial velocity in order to accurately calculate the height.