Where is the point of application of the Acsimet force ?

In this case, we are minimizing the potential energy (I'm sure you've seen that) to get the equations of motion. In this case, the potential is given by the integral of the product of the density of the medium and the square of the speed of each element of the body, or, if the density is constant, the integral of the square of the speed (that's what's inside the integral sign). Taking the derivative of the integral is the same as taking the derivative of each element and integrating them (that's what the upside down triangle is doing). The equations of motion come from setting the gradient (derivative of the potential) equal to the force (that results in the acceleration).In summary,
pkh
Do you know what the force Acsimet is ? Yes, certainly. Do you know Where the point of application of that force ? Yes, I think. But I don't :-(. Can you show me and explain your answer for me ? You can say it's the centre of gravity of the object... but WHY ?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
I am embarassed to admit that I DON'T know what "acsimet" means, much less what an "acsimet force" is! I do know that, as far as straight line motion is concerned, wherever the actual forces apply to a mass, we can treat the TOTAL force as if it were applied to the "center of mass"- basically, that the definition of center of gravity.

If forces are not "balanced" around the center of mass, the will be a rotation that a force applied to the center of gravity would not cause.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
I am embarassed to admit that I DON'T know what "acsimet" means, much less what an "acsimet force" is! I do know that, as far as straight line motion is concerned, wherever the actual forces apply to a mass, we can treat the TOTAL force as if it were applied to the "center of mass"- basically, that the definition of center of gravity.

If forces are not "balanced" around the center of mass, the will be a rotation that a force applied to the center of gravity would not cause.

Well, Acsimet force is the force applying on an object in a liquid (such as water, oil, etc). The intensity : F=V.Gamma
where
V-volume of the part in water of object
Gamma-specific weight of the liquid

In the case where the object in the lique is liberal (not linked to anything who is n't in the lique), I'm agree too with you about the reason why the force acsimet applying at the centre of gavity, if not the rotation is obvious.
But there 're the others cases, you can click on this link for an example:
http://www.ttvnol.com/uploaded/PKH/Acsimet%20force.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
pkh,
I think by 'Acsimet' you mean 'Archimedes', and what you're looking for is the point of application of the buoyant force, which is the center of volume of the submerged part, see here:

http://web.nps.navy.mil/~me/tsse/NavArchWeb/1/module4/basics.htm [Broken]

Originally posted by arcnets
pkh,
I think by 'Acsimet' you mean 'Archimedes', and what you're looking for is the point of application of the buoyant force, which is the center of volume of the submerged part, see here:

Well, I made a mistake with "Archimedes" . Thank you for the link :smile: .

Originally posted by arcnets
pkh,

I read all but the object in the explanation is libre (it has no link with the other object which aren't in the water). Moreover, I don't understand the symbol of triangular shape. What does it mean, that mathematical symbol ?

arcnets: Thank you VERY much for the clearing up the "Archimedes". It was clear that PKS's native language was not English (you should try to read my French!) and that one stumped me.

PKS: There are links at the site: the "dots" on the left (although unlabeled) are links to other "pages" of the document. I didn't see any triangular mathematical symbol. At the end, there is a triangle inside a disk which is clearly a "next page" link.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
arcnets: Thank you VERY much for the clearing up the "Archimedes". It was clear that PKS's native language was not English (you should try to read my French!) and that one stumped me.

PKS: There are links at the site: the "dots" on the left (although unlabeled) are links to other "pages" of the document. I didn't see any triangular mathematical symbol. At the end, there is a triangle inside a disk which is clearly a "next page" link.

Rehi ;-),
Yes, you're right, I'm not english but I'm not french too (although I can use both of those 2 languages) :-).
And the symbol which I don't understand, you can see here
.http://web.nps.navy.mil/~me/tsse/NavArchWeb/1/module4/equilibrium_stability_files/image002.jpg [Broken]
I always wait your explains.
P.S: My nickname is PKH, not PKS .

That stands for the gradient. The partial derivative of the components of the vector p.

PKH: sorry about getting your "name" wrong.

meister is correct that the upside down triangle is the "gradient" (sometimes read "del"). His explanation is a little opaque. The gradient of a function of several variables is the vector whose x component is the derivative with respect to x, y component is the derivative with respect to y, etc.

The gradient vector has the nice that it always points in the direction in which the function increases fastest and that it's length IS that fastest increase. Of course, at a point of maximum value the function will not increase so it has no direction of fastest increase (and since fastest decrease is opposite to the direction of fastest increase, at a minimum there is no direction of fastest increase) so the gradient must be 0. This is exactly the same as the more basic idea that at a critical point, the derivative is 0. In fact it is more correct to think of the gradient as THE derivative of a function of several variables than the partial derivatives.

Since most physical laws can be expressed as minimizing or maximizing something, they typically involve the gradient.

1. What is the definition of the point of application of the Acsimet force?

The point of application of the Acsimet force is the location on an object where the force is applied. It is the point where the force vector is acting on the object.

2. How is the point of application determined for different forces?

The point of application is determined by the direction and magnitude of the force vector. The force vector can act at any point on the object, but the point of application is typically chosen to simplify calculations.

3. Can the point of application change for a single force acting on an object?

Yes, the point of application can change depending on the position and orientation of the object. For example, the point of application for a weight suspended from a rope will change as the rope is moved.

4. How does the point of application affect the resulting motion of an object?

The point of application of a force can determine the torque and net force acting on an object, which can affect its rotational and translational motion. A change in the point of application can also change the direction and magnitude of the force.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the point of application of forces?

Understanding the point of application of forces is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It can be used to design structures, analyze motion and forces in machines, and understand the biomechanics of human movement.