Finding GCF of 3 Terms: 102k^5m^2, 51k^4m, 153k^2m^2

In summary, finding the GCF of three terms involves first finding the GCF of the coefficients and then finding the GCF of the variables. The GCF of the coefficients is found by listing all the factors of each number and finding the greatest one in common. The GCF of the variables is found by taking the smallest power of each prime factor present in the terms. Multiplying these two GCFs gives the GCF of the entire term.
dizco29
hey guys, getting back into some basic algebra (so hope you don't mind a real newbie) and was doing a factoring tutorial on the web, and came across this.

The work for finding the GCF of three terms is shown below.

102k^5m^2
51k^4m
153k^2m^2

First find the GCF of the coefficients:
102 (1, 2, 3, 6, 17, 34, 51, 102)
51 (1, 3, 17, 51)
153 (1, 3, 9, 17, 51, 153)
GCF (of coefficients only) = 51

Next find the GCF of the variables:

k^5 m^2

k^4 m

k^2 m^2

GCF (of variables) = k2m

Now multiply the two GCFs
GCF of the entire term = 51k^2 m

what I don't understand is how the GCF for K is 2. Because 5 is not divisble by 2. So how can that be?

here's a link to the page if the above is not clear.

http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/f...indgcf/pg2.htm

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
k^5 = k x k x k x k x k = k^2 x k^3. Does that help?

hmmm, kinda, can you explain a little bit more about it. didn't know that you can add the exponents when you are looking for the GCF

Let us denote k^2 by n. Therefore k^5 = n.k^3 and k^2 = n. Therefore n is the GCF.

cool, I get it now! stupid me lol. thanks for your explainantion!

dizco29 said:
I still don't get how in this case the common factor for z is ^2. shouldn't it be z^1?
thanks!
z^3 = z^2 x z

dizco29 said:
cool, I get it now! stupid me lol. thanks for your explainantion!
You're welcome. :smile:

dizco29 said:
what I don't understand is how the GCF for K is 2. Because 5 is not divisble by 2. So how can that be?

You're error is clear in the wording- "The GCF for K" is not 2! It is k2. 5 is not divisible by 2 but k5 certainly is divisible by k2.

this is a slly problem to do by that method. this poroblem involves only the same prime factors. e.g. to find the gcf of expressions of form a^n b^m c^p, where a,b,c, are all prime, just take each prime and raise it to the smallest power it has in any term given.

e,g, in your example you have 3^r 17^s k^t m^u, and just taking the smallest power of each occurrence gives immediately 3^1 17^1 k^2 m^1.

Related to Finding GCF of 3 Terms: 102k^5m^2, 51k^4m, 153k^2m^2

1. What is the first step in finding the GCF of three terms?

The first step in finding the GCF of three terms is to factor each term into its prime factors.

2. How do I know which prime factors to include in the GCF?

The GCF will include all common prime factors among the three terms. This means that the prime factors that appear in all three terms must be included in the GCF.

3. Can I use a different method besides prime factorization to find the GCF?

Yes, you can also use the method of listing all the factors of each term and identifying the largest number that appears in all three lists.

4. What is the GCF of 102k^5m^2, 51k^4m, and 153k^2m^2?

The GCF of these three terms is 3k^2m.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by multiplying the GCF by the remaining terms. The result should be equal to the original three terms multiplied together.