Finding gain in series of amps and attenuators

In summary, the conversation discusses finding levels at points A and B using the voltage gain formula in dB and the definition of dBu. The solution for point A is provided, and the steps for finding the level at point B are discussed.
eng_stud

Homework Statement

Please see the attached drawing. Find levels at A and B.

Homework Equations

voltage gain in dB = [tex]20log(V_out/V_in)[/tex]
dBu defined: [tex]20log(V/0.775V)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First question, since I know the level before the first amp, can I disregard the impedance of the source? So the gain and dBu at pos A would be:
[tex]V_{1-in}: -70dBu=20log(V_{1-in}/0.775V) \implies 0.775*10^{-70/20}=2.45*10^{-4} [/tex]
Gain through first amp: [tex] 20log(100/2.45*10^{-4}) \approx 112 dB[/tex]
Level at pos A: [tex]-70dBu+112dB=42dBu[/tex].

is this right or have I done something terribly wrong?

I'm not quite sure how to get B. How can I figure out the gain of the second apmlifier, and thus the level at B before it turns to 0 dBu?

Attachments

• q.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Your solution for A looks correct. As for B, you can calculate the gain of the second amplifier by using the same formula for voltage gain in dB. You would just need to know the input and output voltages for the second amplifier to plug into the formula. Once you have the gain for the second amplifier, you can use it to calculate the level at B using the formula for dBu. Hope that helps!

Related to Finding gain in series of amps and attenuators

1. How do I calculate the gain in a series of amps and attenuators?

To calculate the gain in a series of amps and attenuators, you will need to use the formula: Gain = (G1 * G2 * G3 * ...)/(A1 * A2 * A3 * ...), where G represents the gain of each amplifier and A represents the attenuation of each attenuator. Simply multiply the gain values together and divide by the attenuation values to find the overall gain of the series.

2. What is the purpose of using a series of amps and attenuators?

A series of amps and attenuators is used to control the strength of a signal. Amplifiers increase the strength of a signal, while attenuators decrease it. By using a combination of both, you can fine-tune the level of a signal to achieve the desired output.

3. How do I choose the right combination of amps and attenuators for my setup?

The right combination of amps and attenuators will depend on your specific setup and the desired output. You will need to consider factors such as the input signal strength, the desired output signal strength, and the frequency range. It is also important to choose quality components that are compatible with each other.

4. Can I use any combination of amps and attenuators in a series?

No, not all amps and attenuators are compatible with each other. It is important to choose components that have matching input and output impedance values. Using mismatched components can result in signal distortion and loss of gain.

5. How can I measure the gain in a series of amps and attenuators?

To measure the gain in a series of amps and attenuators, you can use a multimeter or an oscilloscope. Connect the input signal to the first component in the series and the output signal to the last component. Measure the input and output voltages and use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the gain.