Finding g and Atwood's machine

• Thread starter blindsided
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, with a constant value of 9.8 m/s². It can be calculated using an Atwood's machine by measuring the masses and radius of the pulley and using the equation g = (2m1m2)/(m1+m2)r. An Atwood's machine is a simple device used to demonstrate the effects of gravity, where two objects of different masses connected by a string are accelerated in opposite directions. The accuracy of the calculated "g" value can be affected by factors such as measurement precision, friction, and air resistance, and is related to other fundamental physical constants such as the mass and radius of the Earth, gravitational constant, and universal gas
blindsided
Hi!
I have an assignment to write a mini-essay of sorts on Atwood's machine. One of the things I need to cover is how to find the value of g by using Atwood's machine. I really have no idea how to do this. I was thinking about rearranging a= [(m2-m1)g] / (m1+m2) but I don't understand how to get a.
Help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
blindsided said:
... but I don't understand how to get a.
If you are using this to find g, you'd have to measure the acceleration.

Ah, I understand now. Thank you!

Related to Finding g and Atwood's machine

1. What is "g" in the context of physics?

"g" refers to the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth. It represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the ground when dropped or thrown.

2. How do you calculate "g" using an Atwood's machine?

To calculate "g" using an Atwood's machine, you will need to measure the mass of the two objects attached to either side of the pulley, as well as the radius of the pulley. Then, use the equation g = (2m1m2)/(m1+m2)r, where m1 and m2 are the masses and r is the radius of the pulley. This equation takes into account the weight of the objects and the tension in the string to determine the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is an Atwood's machine and how does it work?

An Atwood's machine is a simple device used to demonstrate the principles of classical mechanics and the effects of gravity. It consists of two objects of different masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. As one object falls, the other rises, and the difference in their masses causes a net force that accelerates them in opposite directions.

4. What are the factors that can affect the accuracy of "g" calculated using an Atwood's machine?

The accuracy of the calculated "g" value using an Atwood's machine can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the measurements taken, the friction between the pulley and the string, and the air resistance acting on the objects as they fall. To improve accuracy, it is important to minimize these factors as much as possible and take multiple measurements.

5. How is "g" related to other fundamental physical constants?

"g" is related to other fundamental physical constants, such as the mass and radius of the Earth, the gravitational constant, and the universal gas constant. These constants are used in various equations to describe the laws of motion and gravity, and their values are crucial in determining the value of "g" on Earth and other planets.