Finding forces/torques on a permanent magnet from a coil

In summary, the conversation is about finding methods for calculating forces exerted by a current-carrying coil on a permanent magnet, specifically for the application of electrical motors. The individual is seeking resources and mentions a starting point and a potential area of focus.
refind
I want to know what methods there are for calculating forces by a current-carrying coil on a permanent magnet (the application I have in mind is electrical motors). I.e. given a geometry (like a CAD model of the magnet), the magnet type (e.g neodymium), and wire coil geometry, how are the forces calculated?

I tried looking for some papers but had no luck. I'll appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Finding forces/torques on a permanent magnet from a coil

1. How does a coil interact with a permanent magnet?

A coil and a permanent magnet interact through the magnetic field produced by the magnet. When the magnet is moved towards or away from the coil, the changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the coil, creating an electromagnetic force.

2. How can I calculate the force or torque on a permanent magnet from a coil?

The force or torque on a permanent magnet from a coil can be calculated using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the coil, and L is the length of the coil. The direction of the force or torque can be determined using the right-hand rule.

3. What factors affect the strength of the force or torque on a permanent magnet from a coil?

The strength of the force or torque on a permanent magnet from a coil depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the coil, and the distance between the magnet and the coil. The angle between the magnet and the coil also affects the strength of the force or torque.

4. Can the direction of the force or torque be changed?

Yes, the direction of the force or torque can be changed by changing the direction of the current flowing through the coil or by changing the orientation of the magnet relative to the coil.

5. What are some practical applications of finding forces and torques on permanent magnets from coils?

One practical application is in electric motors and generators, where the interaction between a coil and a permanent magnet is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa. Another application is in magnetic levitation systems, where the force between a magnet and a coil is used to levitate an object. This concept is also used in some types of magnetic brakes and clutches.