Finding Force Given Potential Energy

In summary, our professor is refusing to go over an example with us completely and we are struggling with the homework. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CallMeShady
Now let me start off by saying that I, along with over 100 students in my class are having issues with this concept, thanks to our "amazing" professor, while our midterm exam is a few days away. I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but I am frustrated with the fact that the professor refuses to go over an example with us completely. The following is a practice exam question and for some reason, he refuses to provide answers to the questions (forget providing an answer key). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

V(r; C6, C12) = C12/r12 - C6/r6 with C12 = 1.0 and C6 = 2.0
2vdinf7.jpg

Homework Equations

None, all equations you need for the question are in the question itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that F(vector) = -∇V, where F is the force and V is the potential energy. Basically this means that I need to take the partial derivative of V(r) and multiply that by r(vector)/r and so for part (a), I get: (12C12r-13-6C6r-7)(r(vector)/r)
Have I done this correct? And if so, how do I proceed to part (b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in part a, but you can simplify the answer a little.
What is the relation between r,r(vector) and x,y,z,x^,y^,z^?

frogjg2003 said:
You are correct in part a, but you can simplify the answer a little.
What is the relation between r,r(vector) and x,y,z,x^,y^,z^?

By simplifying the answer, do you mean just substitute the values of C6 and C12 with their respective values (given in the question)?

In addition, I know that r(vector)/r is just a normalized vector. In other words, it gives me the direction of the vector force. In addition, r = √x2+y2(+z2). However, I still do not know how to solve part (b). I can't seem to put my ideas together.

By simplify, I just meant multiply r^-13 and r^-12 by the 1/r you had grouped with r(vector).

Ok, you have r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2, what about r(vector)?

By multiplying the derived equation by 1/r, I get:
(12C12r-14-6C6r-8)(r(vector))

And since r = √x2+y2(+z2), I get:
(12C12(√x2+y2+z2)-14-6C6(√x2+y2+z2)-8)(r(vector))

Finally r(vector) gives me the exact location using the x,y,z co-ordinates. So, now, do I just substitute the values of x,y,z given by r(vector) into the equation above?

Last edited:
Yes
quick note: Sqrt(...)^-14 and Sqrt(...)^-8 simplify

Hm, by simplifying, do you mean that they become:
(x2+y2+z2)-7
&
(x2+y2+z2)-4
?

Yes.
As for plugging in, remember that [itex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/itex]

I am not sure what you mean with that equation above... what does the hat above the variables mean?

After substituting the numbers, I got r = √35 and plugging that into the original derived equation, I got an answer of -7.997 [itex]\times[/itex]10-6 (which I am assuming is an answer in Newtons).

[itex]\hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z}[/itex] are the unit vectors in the x,y, and z directions. If you haven't seen this notation yet, you are overdue. It's just a way of writing out a vector as a sum of terms instead of as a matrix, which has the benefit of being very useful for multi-variable calculus. I don't know how you're doing gradients without having seen unit vectors yet.

Related to Finding Force Given Potential Energy

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is the ability of an object to do work when it is released or allowed to move.

2. How is potential energy related to force?

Potential energy and force are related through the equation: F = -dU/dx, where F is force, U is potential energy, and x is displacement. This means that the force acting on an object is equal to the negative of the change in potential energy with respect to the object's displacement.

3. How do you calculate force given potential energy?

To calculate force given potential energy, you can rearrange the equation F = -dU/dx to solve for force. This will give you F = -dU/dx = -(-kx) = kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object. This equation can also be used for other types of potential energy, such as gravitational potential energy.

4. What are some examples of finding force given potential energy?

One example of finding force given potential energy is in a spring-mass system, where the force can be calculated using the equation F = kx. Another example is calculating the force of gravity on an object using the equation F = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some applications of finding force given potential energy?

Finding force given potential energy is important in many different fields of science and engineering. It is used in mechanics and physics to understand the motion of objects, in chemistry to study chemical reactions, and in engineering to design structures and machines. It is also used in everyday life, such as calculating the force needed to compress a spring in a mattress or the force needed to lift an object off the ground.