Finding Focal Length of 2 Lenses Combined

In summary, you grind the lenses shown in Figure 34-49 from flat glass disks (n = 1.5) using a machine that can grind a radius of curvature of either 15 cm or 30 cm. The focal length of the lenses is determined by the radius of curvature that you choose.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm confused on this issue. How can I tell if the focal length is going to be postive or negative when 2 lens are combined like the ones below:
Here is the directions:
You grind the lenses shown in Figure 34-49 from flat glass disks (n = 1.5) using a machine that can grind a radius of curvature of either 15 cm or 30 cm. In a lens where either radius is appropriate, you select the 15 cm radius. Then you hold each lens in sunshine to form an image of the Sun.
hrw7_34-49.gif

What is the focal length f for each lens?

for some reason I'm getting this wrong, all I'm doing is taking the center of radius and dividing it by 2 to get the focal length. But I'm not getting that right either. I don't see where I'm messing up. THe professor just said, take the given cirvature of raidus which is 15, divide it by 2 and that's ur answer, then you have to decide if its positve or negative. I tried both postive and negative both wrong. Any ideas?

In my notes i have it saying:
Focal length of a convex lens is +
Focal Length of a concave lens is -
so if i had a bi convex, is that like a convex and a concave put together, there for, a end result of a negative focal length becuase a postive times a negative is -?

Here is my work:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5817/lastscan5bq.jpg

Attachments

• hrw7_34-49.gif
    hrw7_34-49.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 491
  • hrw7_34-49.gif
    hrw7_34-49.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 422
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For lenses the f = R/2 is not valid. It is for mirrors.
The correct one is
1/f = (u-1) (1/r1 - 1/r2)

(Use the New Cartesian Convention. Dunno which one you use. But we are supposed to use this :) )

so 1/f = (1.5-1) (1/15+1/15)
so f = 15cm.

And for combination of lenses placed together you may use the power of a lens thing.
P = 1/f f is in m
so combined power is P = 1/f1 + 1/f2
use the sign of focal length with sign.

and as far as i remember bi convex is a lens with both sides convex i.e both sides outward. Then there is a plano concave, plano convex, bi convex. Although I never mess with them, I always get confused.

PS If you don't use the New Cartesian Convention better wait for someone who can help with the Real Virtual thing.

Thanks hell raiser, the question wants
(a) What is the focal length f for each lens?
(1) bi-convex wrong check mark cm
(2) plane-convex cm
(3) meniscus convex wrong check mark cm
(4) bi-concave cm
(5) plane-concave cm
(6) meniscus concave cm
hrw7_34-49.gif

So if I'm finding the combined power, is that still the focal length?
Like for instance if i had a (4) bi-concave, which looks like #4 in the drawing.
I would have
f = (1-1.5)(1/15+1/15)
f = 15cm;

) would be concave
( would be convex
and a bi-concave looks like those 2 put together )(
The rule i have is, focal length of a convex is +
The focal length of a concave is a -
so would i do this?
combined power is P = 1/f1 + 1/f2
P = -1/15 + 1/15 = 0?
That makes no sense, do u see where I messed up on understanding what you said? Thanks for the reply!

Looks to me that you are confusing combining surfaces with combining lenses. (They are not the same! The power of a lens surface depends on what side of the lens it's on.) You need to use the Lens Maker's formula to find the focal length of these lenses (as hellraiser described). Here's a useful page describing that equation and its sign convention: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/lenmak.html#c1

Here's a quick tip: You can quickly tell if a lens is converging (+ focal length) or diverging (- focal length) by comparing the thickness of the middle to the thickness of the edges: if the middle is thicker, it's converging.

THanks for the help Doc Al! great website, i forgot all about this site!:biggrin:

Related to Finding Focal Length of 2 Lenses Combined

1. What is the formula for finding the focal length of two lenses combined?

The formula for finding the focal length of two lenses combined is 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2, where f is the combined focal length and f1 and f2 are the individual focal lengths of the lenses.

2. How do I measure the individual focal lengths of the two lenses?

You can measure the individual focal lengths of the two lenses by placing them a known distance apart and using a ruler to measure the distance between the two focal points. The individual focal lengths can then be calculated by dividing the known distance by the distance between the focal points.

3. Can the focal length of two lenses combined be greater than the focal length of either individual lens?

No, the focal length of two lenses combined cannot be greater than the focal length of either individual lens. The combined focal length will always be smaller than the individual focal lengths.

4. Is it important to consider the distance between the two lenses when calculating the combined focal length?

Yes, it is important to consider the distance between the two lenses when calculating the combined focal length. The distance between the two lenses affects the amount of magnification and the resulting focal length. A smaller distance between the lenses will result in a larger combined focal length and vice versa.

5. How does the type of lenses used affect the calculation of the combined focal length?

The type of lenses used can affect the calculation of the combined focal length. Convex lenses will have a positive focal length, while concave lenses will have a negative focal length. When combining lenses, the signs of the focal lengths must be taken into account in the calculation. Additionally, the curvature and thickness of the lenses can also affect the combined focal length.