Finding Flux through a Disk due to Two Charges

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the maximum distance between two charges and the use of equations to determine it. The concept of field lines and their relation to the direction of the electric field is also discussed. The participants eventually reach the correct answer of 30.52 cm using a method involving flux through a circular area and following curved field lines.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=66896&stc=1&d=1393081353.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The given field lines are at a maximum distance exactly midway between the charges but I don't know which equation to use to find it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• electric field spacing.png
    electric field spacing.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 4139-small.jpg
    4139-small.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
What is a field line?

voko said:
What is a field line?

It represents the direction of force acting on the charged particle in an electric field.

Yes, but how is it defined, exactly?

Let the +q charge be the origin. At location ##\vec r##, what is the direction of the force? What property of the line is related with this direction?

voko said:
Yes, but how is it defined, exactly?

Let the +q charge be the origin. At location ##\vec r##, what is the direction of the force? What property of the line is related with this direction?

$$\vec{E}=\frac{\vec{F}}{q}$$
(where F is the force on charge)

Is this what you ask?

Pranav-Arora said:
$$\vec{E}=\frac{\vec{F}}{q}$$
(where F is the force on charge)

Is this what you ask?

No. In fact, you did not answer any of my questions :)

You did not show what the direction of ##\vec E## really is at the given ##\vec r## in this problem.

Nor did you explain what property of the line is related to the direction of ##\vec E##.

voko said:
You did not show what the direction of ##\vec E## really is at the given ##\vec r## in this problem.

Do you want me to evaluate an expression for electric field at the given ##\vec{r}##? If so, this is my attempt:

Let the positive charge be at ##\vec{p}## and negative charge at ##\vec{q}##. The net field at ##\vec{r}## is given by:
$$\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{|\vec{r}-\vec{p}|^3}(\vec{r}-\vec{p})-\frac{kq}{|\vec{r}-\vec{q}|^3}(\vec{r}-\vec{q})$$

Is this what you ask or did I still not answer your question? :)

Nor did you explain what property of the line is related to the direction of ##\vec E##.
##\vec{E}## is tangent to field line.

So, if we parametrise filed lines with natural parameter ##s##, we should have $$ {d \vec r \over ds} = {\vec E \over | \vec E | } $$ Solve :)

Likes 1 person
voko said:
$$ {d \vec r \over ds} = {\vec E \over | \vec E | } $$

Erm...is there no other way to solve the problem? :redface:

I feel ##|\vec{E}|## would be very messy.

You can get rid of ##|\vec E|## by choosing two components of ##\vec r##, say x and y coordinates, then $$ { dy \over dx } = { {dy \over ds} \over {dx \over ds}} = ... $$

Likes 1 person
voko said:
You can get rid of ##|\vec E|## by choosing two components of ##\vec r##, say x and y coordinates, then $$ { dy \over dx } = { {dy \over ds} \over {dx \over ds}} = ... $$

What do you mean? :rolleyes:

Do you ask me to write ##\vec{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}##? :confused:

Well, I did not ask. I suggested that you could :) You can decompose the position vector in any two components and still get rid of the magnitude of the field.

Likes 1 person
Maybe it would help to think about the electric flux through a circular area of diameter D centered on the axis of the dipole midway between the charges and perpendicular to the axis.

Attachments

• diploe flux.png
    diploe flux.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 446
Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Maybe it would help to think about the electric flux through a circular area of diameter D centered on the axis of the dipole midway between the charges and perpendicular to the axis.

Ah, nice. :)

The flux leaving from +q making a cone of angle of ##90^{\circ}## is given by
$$\phi_1=\frac{q}{2\epsilon_o}\left(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)$$
The flux through the circle of diameter D is:
$$\phi_2=2\times \frac{q}{2\epsilon_0}\left(1-\cos\theta\right)$$
where ##\cos\theta=\frac{d}{\sqrt{D^2+d^2}}##.

I can equate them to obtain D but I am not sure about ##\phi_1##. Is there no contribution from -q in ##\phi_1##? :confused:

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Ah, nice. :)

The flux leaving from +q making a cone of angle of ##90^{\circ}## is given by
$$\phi_1=\frac{q}{2\epsilon_o}\left(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)$$
The flux through the circle of diameter D is:
$$\phi_2=2\times \frac{q}{2\epsilon_0}\left(1-\cos\theta\right)$$
where ##\cos\theta=\frac{d}{\sqrt{D^2+d^2}}##.

Looks good to me.

I can equate them to obtain D but I am not sure about ##\phi_1##. Is there no contribution from -q in ##\phi_1##? :confused:

The flux through the disk can be thought of as the total number of field lines piercing the disk. Are there any lines that pierce the disk other than the lines that leave the +q charge within the cone of half-angle ##\alpha##?

TSny said:
The flux through the disk can be thought of as the total number of field lines piercing the disk. Are there any lines that pierce the disk other than the lines that leave the +q charge within the cone of half-angle ##\alpha##?

##\phi_2## is through disk you have shown in the sketch. Both the charges contribute to ##\phi_2##, am I right in saying this?

Yes, both charges contribute to the electric field at the disk. ##\phi_2## is the flux through the disk due to the net E field at the disk and therefore represents the flux through the disk due to both charges. I believe your expression for ##\phi_2## is correct.

For ##\phi_1## you are following the curved field lines. These correspond to the net field of both charges. (But very close to ##q_1## the net field is essentially the same as the field of ##q_1## alone.) The number of curved field lines that pierce the disk is the same as the number of field lines that come off of ##q_1## within the cone. I believe your expression for ##\phi_1## is also correct.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Yes, both charges contribute to the electric field at the disk. ##\phi_2## is the flux through the disk due to the net E field at the disk and therefore represents the flux through the disk due to both charges. I believe your expression for ##\phi_2## is correct.

For ##\phi_1## you are following the curved field lines. These correspond to the net field of both charges. (But very close to ##q_1## the net field is essentially the same as the field of ##q_1## alone.) The number of curved field lines that pierce the disk is the same as the number of field lines that come off of ##q_1## within the cone. I believe your expression for ##\phi_1## is also correct.

Thanks TSny! I have reached the correct answer 30.52 cm. :smile:

That was a very neat way to solve the problem, I will be making a note of this. :)

Related to Finding Flux through a Disk due to Two Charges

What is the spacing of field lines?

The spacing of field lines refers to the distance between two adjacent field lines in a given region. It is a visual representation of the strength and direction of an electric or magnetic field.

How is the spacing of field lines determined?

The spacing of field lines is determined by the strength of the electric or magnetic field. The stronger the field, the closer the field lines will be to each other. Additionally, the direction of the field also affects the spacing, with field lines being closer together in regions where the field is stronger in a particular direction.

What is the significance of the spacing of field lines?

The spacing of field lines is significant because it provides information about the strength and direction of an electric or magnetic field. It can also be used to visualize the distribution of charges or magnetic poles in a given region.

Can the spacing of field lines change?

Yes, the spacing of field lines can change in response to changes in the strength or direction of the electric or magnetic field. For example, if the strength of the field increases, the spacing between field lines will decrease.

How does the spacing of field lines relate to the magnitude of the field?

The spacing of field lines is inversely proportional to the magnitude of the field. This means that as the field strength increases, the spacing between field lines decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation for electric field strength, where E = F/q and the force (F) is directly proportional to the electric field strength (E).