Finding Final Temperature of Boiling Water and Potatoes

In summary, the water loses cwmw(tw-tf) heat and the potato gains cpmp(tf-tp) heat, and they are equal.
erok81

Homework Statement

I have some boiling water that I am adding potatoes to. I am asked to find the final temp after the potatoes have been added to the boiling water.

Tiw=100C (initial boiling water temp)
Tip=30C (initial room temp potatoes)
mp=0.5kg (mass of potatoes)
mw=1.5L or 1.5kg (mass of water)
cw=4.2kj/kg*C (specific heat of water)
cp=3.4kj/kg*C (specific heat of potatoes)

Homework Equations

[itex]C=\frac{Q}{\Delta T}[/itex]
[itex]c=\frac{C}{m}[/itex]

Since no heat is assumed to be lost, Qlost=Qgained

Subscript w is for water and p is potato

The Attempt at a Solution

Qlost=Qgained

cwmw(Tf-Tiw)=cpmp(Tf-Tip)

Both objects reach thermal equilibrium therefore Tf is the same.

After some algebra I end up with:

[itex]T_f = \frac{(c_w m_w T_iw) - (c_p m_p T_ip)}{(c_w m_w) - (c_p m_p)}[/itex]

Then plugging in my given values I end up with 125C which is no way correct.

I am thinking my error might be how I am choosing my Ti/Tf values. I saw an example somewhere which had a couple of the values switched. Which didn't really make sense because as far as I know, it's always Tf-Ti?

Where am I making my error? If needed I can post my algebra steps. I did them a few times and got the same answer every time...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
However if I swap the temp values like an example I saw...

cwmw(Twi-Tf)=cpmp(Tf-Tpi)

After the algebra I end up with...

[itex]T_f = \frac{(c_p m_p T_{pi}) + (c_w m_w T_{wi})}{(c_w m_w) + (c_p m_p)}[/itex]

I get 85.125C. Which is a lot more reasonable.

If that's the case, why do the temps get represented like that?

erok81 said:
Qlost=Qgained

cwmw(Tf-Tiw)=cpmp(Tf-Tip)

Tf-Tw<0 and TF-Tp>0. If you say that the water loses a negative amount of heat, it means it gains heat.

The water loses cwmw(Tw-Tf) heat. The potato gains cpmp(Tf-Tp) heat, and they are equal.

Or you can say that the heat transferred to a substance is cm(Tf-Ti) which can be either positive or negative and the sum of the transferred amounts of heat is zero, as heat is not lost.

ehild

So in this case ΔT isn't necessarily Tf-Ti like most Δ's. It's more for interpretation...if that makes sense.

I get what you are saying. For this problems the final and initial are "swapped" since the water has to lose heat at the end. If I do final - initial, the ΔT is negative and therefore gains heat, which isn't the case.

Therefore I need to look at what ΔT is doing and set it up from there? Or am I just reaching for a reason why they are swapped and this doesn't make sense?

Thanks for the reply!

Remember the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics:

Heat flows from a body with a higher temperature to a body with a lower temperature.

erok81 said:
So in this case ΔT isn't necessarily Tf-Ti like most Δ's. It's more for interpretation...if that makes sense.

I get what you are saying. For this problems the final and initial are "swapped" since the water has to lose heat at the end. If I do final - initial, the ΔT is negative and therefore gains heat, which isn't the case.

Therefore I need to look at what ΔT is doing and set it up from there? Or am I just reaching for a reason why they are swapped and this doesn't make sense?

Thanks for the reply!

You need not think if you add up the terms cm(tf-ti) and make the sum equal to zero.

ehild

Related to Finding Final Temperature of Boiling Water and Potatoes

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is a physical property that measures the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it helps us understand how different materials respond to changes in temperature, and it is essential for many practical applications such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes.

How is specific heat different from heat capacity?

Specific heat and heat capacity are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance, while specific heat is the heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance. In other words, specific heat takes into account the mass of the substance, while heat capacity does not.

How do you calculate specific heat?

Specific heat can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred to a substance by its mass and the change in temperature. The formula is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Why do different substances have different specific heat values?

The specific heat of a substance depends on its molecular structure and composition. Substances with stronger bonds and more complex structures tend to have higher specific heat values, meaning they require more energy to raise their temperature. This is why different substances have different specific heat values.

How is specific heat used in real-world applications?

Specific heat is used in many practical applications, including cooking, heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes. For example, chefs use specific heat to determine cooking times and temperatures for different foods, and engineers use it to design efficient heating and cooling systems for buildings. In industrial processes, specific heat is crucial for determining the amount of energy needed to melt, vaporize, or cool materials.