Finding final speed of object on incline

In summary: So if the object slides down a ramp with an angle, its speed will be twice as great at the bottom as it was at the top, and that's what the answer should be.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

An object of mass m is allowed to slide down a frictionless ramp of angle Θ, and its speed at the bottom is recorded as v. If this same process was followed on a planet with twice the gravitational acceleration as Earth, what would be its final speed?

Multiple Choice Options:
(A) 2v
(B) v√2
(C) v
(D) v/ √2
(E) v/2

I know that the right answer is A, but I do not understand why... I will explain what I attempted to do in my attempt at solution.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law: F = ma, with the force of gravity parallel to the incline being Fg*sin(Θ).
This means that my acceleration will be g*sin(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So let's say that we have a distance Δx, which represents the length of the ramp at the angle.
I attempt to use a kinematic equation to solve for the length of the ramp and then try to apply the calculated result in another kinematic equation using the doubled value of acceleration.

My attempt is attached in a photograph, and I got B. I do not understand why what I did is incorrect and why A is correct.

The solutions manual (which I am attaching the solutions to here) says something different, and while I understand their approach.. I believe that they are basing it on the faulty assumption that with the doubled acceleration, the amount of time that the object will take to reach the base of the ramp is the same.

Could anyone please explain why my approach is wrong and why, and what I could possibly do instead?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
I won't try to decipher your sideways photos (we prefer to see work typed in so that helpers can quote and comment on individual lines), but I agree with your conclusion that the answer should be B.

The standard equation that they should have referenced and used here is ##v_f^2 - v_i^2 = 2 a d##.

gneill said:
I won't try to decipher your sideways photos (we prefer to see work typed in so that helpers can quote and comment on individual lines), but I agree with your conclusion that the answer should be B.

The standard equation that they should have referenced and used here is ##v_f^2 - v_i^2 = 2 a d##.
I do not know how to use the equation formatting tools on this site that well. Sorry.

However, why are you of that opinion?

RoboNerd said:
I do not know how to use the equation formatting tools on this site that well. Sorry.
The LaTeX equation formatting syntax takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not all that hard for basic stuff. You can also use the symbols and special characters available via the ##\Sigma## icon and use the ##x_2## and ##x^2## buttons to achieve subscripts and superscripts.
However, why are you of that opinion?
Which opinion is that?

gneill said:
The LaTeX equation formatting syntax takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not all that hard for basic stuff. You can also use the symbols and special characters available via the ##\Sigma## icon and use the ##x_2## and ##x^2## buttons to achieve subscripts and superscripts.

Which opinion is that?
The opinion that the answer should be B?

Because I look at the equation I quoted and can "see" the answer: The standard equation that relates velocity to acceleration and distance involves velocity squared being proportional to the acceleration multiplied by the distance, or turning that around: for a given fixed distance the velocity is proportional to the square root of the acceleration.

Related to Finding final speed of object on incline

What is the formula for finding the final speed of an object on an incline?

The formula for finding the final speed of an object on an incline is v = √(2ghsinθ), where v is the final speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), h is the height of the incline, and θ is the angle of the incline.

How do I determine the angle of the incline?

The angle of the incline can be determined by using a protractor or by measuring the height and length of the incline and using the formula θ = arctan(h/l), where h is the height and l is the length of the incline.

What units should I use when plugging values into the formula?

The units used should be consistent throughout the formula. It is recommended to use meters for height and length, and degrees for the angle. The final speed will be in meters per second (m/s).

Can this formula be used for any object on an incline?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object on an incline, as long as the incline is a smooth surface and the only force acting on the object is gravity.

Are there any factors that could affect the accuracy of the final speed calculation?

Yes, there are a few factors that could affect the accuracy of the final speed calculation, such as air resistance, friction on the incline, and the mass of the object. These factors can be minimized by conducting the experiment in a controlled environment and using a smooth incline and a lightweight object.