Finding fault in proof [contains logical quantifiers]

In summary, the proof is incorrect because in the second equation, x is substituted with a variable instead of a specific value, making it invalid.
iopz

Homework Statement

Consider the following incorrect theorem: [itex]∃x∈ℝ ∀y∈ℝ (xy^2 = y-x)[/itex]

[Translation (not part of the original problem statement): There is at least an [itex]x∈ℝ[/itex] such that, for every [itex]y∈ℝ[/itex], [itex](xy^2 = y-x)[/itex].]

What's wrong with the following proof?

Let [itex]x = y(y^2+1)[/itex], then
[itex]y-x=y-y/(y^2+1)=y^3/(y^2+1)=y/(y^2+1) * y^2=xy^2[/itex]​

Homework Equations

[itex]1. (xy^2 = y-x)[/itex]

[itex]2. x = y(y^2+1)[/itex]

[itex]3. y-x=y-y/(y^2+1)=y^3/(y^2+1)=y/(y^2+1) * y^2=xy^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the first equation is to be proven and the third equation seem to be correct, i think that the problem lies in the second.
I have transformed the theorem as follow:
[itex][∃x∈ℝ ∀y∈ℝ (xy^2 = y-x)] = [∃x(x∈ℝ∧∀y(y∈ℝ→(xy^2=y-x))] [/itex]
From this, i thought that since one of the things to prove is that there is at least an actual x that is true for all y, the substitution done in equation 2 is not correct (since x is substituted not with an actual value but a free variable).
But I'm not sure if this is really the reason for why the proof is incorrect. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
iopz said:
What's wrong with the following proof?

Let [itex]x = y(y^2+1)[/itex]

This is already wrong. x is a single number and can't depend on y

Likes iopz
willem2 said:

This is already wrong. x is a single number and can't depend on y
I see, thank you!

Related to Finding fault in proof [contains logical quantifiers]

1. What are logical quantifiers?

Logical quantifiers are symbols used in mathematical logic to express the quantity of objects in a set or the scope of a statement. They include universal quantifiers (∀) and existential quantifiers (∃).

2. Why is finding fault in proof important?

Finding fault in proof is important because it helps ensure the validity and accuracy of mathematical arguments. It helps identify errors or holes in reasoning that could lead to incorrect conclusions or solutions.

3. How do you find fault in a proof?

To find fault in a proof, you need to carefully examine each step of the argument and check for any errors or inconsistencies. This can involve using counterexamples, logical reasoning, and other mathematical techniques.

4. What are some common mistakes when using logical quantifiers?

Some common mistakes when using logical quantifiers include using the wrong quantifier, using quantifiers in the wrong order, and incorrectly distributing quantifiers over logical connectives. It is important to be familiar with the rules and properties of quantifiers to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can a proof be considered valid if it contains logical quantifiers?

Yes, a proof can still be considered valid if it contains logical quantifiers. However, the use of quantifiers adds an extra layer of complexity and requires careful attention to ensure the proof is sound and free of errors.