Finding Equivalent Resistance in a Combination Circuit

In summary, the equivalent resistance between points a and b in the given figure can be calculated using the equations for series and parallel resistors. The correct equations are Req= R1 + R2 + R3 etc for series and Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc)^-1 for parallel. Simplifying the equation, the equivalent resistance is 2 + (3)^-1.
Gemy4

Homework Statement

What is the equivalent resistance of the combination of identical resistors between points a and b in the figure below?

Homework Equations

Series= Req= R1 + R2 + R3 etc
Parallel = Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc)^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Req= R1 + (1/3R) + R3

I don't know what to do from here.

Attachments

• 18-p-007.gif
    18-p-007.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Parallel= Req= R1 + R2 + R3 etc
Series= Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc)^-1

These equations are wrong. The correct ones are
series= Req= R1 + R2 + R3 etc
Parallel = Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc)^-1

Thank you is this correct I only have one more submission

Req= R1 + (1/3R) + R3
Check the second term in the equation.

I tried that answer already and it says "Check the syntax of your response".

rl.bhat said:
Req= R1 + (1/3R) + R3
Check the second term in the equation.

The second term is right if he means 1/3 R and not 1/(3R). However, what is R1 and R3 in terms of R? Can you simplify the equation?

There are no numerical values for R. I asked my friend and the correct answer is 2 + (3)^-1.

Not sure how she got it.

I know there are no numerical values for R, which is why I asked how R1 and R3 relate to R. Look at the diagram and figure out what R1 and R3 are in terms of R.

Related to Finding Equivalent Resistance in a Combination Circuit

What is direct current?

Direct current (DC) is a type of electrical current that flows in only one direction. In contrast, alternating current (AC) flows in both directions. DC is commonly used in electronics, batteries, and solar panels.

What is the difference between direct current and alternating current?

The main difference between DC and AC is the direction of current flow. DC flows in one direction while AC flows back and forth. Additionally, DC is typically used for low voltage and low power devices, while AC is used for high voltage and high power devices.

How is direct current produced?

Direct current can be produced through various methods, including batteries, generators, and solar panels. In batteries, chemical reactions create a flow of electrons in one direction. Generators use electromagnetic induction to generate a flow of electrons in a specific direction. Solar panels convert sunlight into electricity, which is then converted into direct current.

What are the advantages of using direct current?

Direct current has several advantages, including being more efficient for transmitting power over long distances, as there is less energy loss compared to AC. DC also allows for easier integration with renewable energy sources, such as solar panels. Additionally, many electronic devices, such as phones and laptops, use DC power, so there is no need for conversion from AC.

What are some common uses of direct current circuits?

Direct current circuits are commonly used in electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. They are also used in batteries for flashlights, cars, and other portable devices. DC circuits are also used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to convert the electricity produced into usable power for homes and businesses.