Finding Equilibrium Points of Nonlinear Systems

In summary: Is there a systematic way to find all equilibrium points for systems? Yes, there is a systematic way to find all equilibrium points for systems. You can find the equilibrium points by solving a system of equations.
verd
Hi,

So I keep making mistakes trying to find all of the equilibrium points of different simple nonlinear systems. These problems aren't difficult, it's just that I keep taking different approaches to finding the equilibrium points.

Is there a methodological way to know that I have found all of the equilibrium points for a system?

I have a few examples (below)

Example 1:
[tex]\dot{x}=x(3-x-2y)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=y(2-x-y)[/tex]

Example 2:
[tex]\dot{x}=x^2-y[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=x-y[/tex]

Example 3:
[tex]\dot{x}=x(2-x-y)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=x-y[/tex]

Example 4:
[tex]\dot{x}=x-y[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=1-e^{x}[/tex]

PS, this isn't homework. This is a component of an exam I need to pass, and I'm just looking for a structured way to approach this type of problem.

Thanks in advance
-H

Physics news on Phys.org
Equilibrium points are points where the derivative of both x and y equals zero.

So f.e. in this system:

[tex]\dot{x}=x-y[/tex]

The equilibrium points satisfy the system of (algebric) equations:

[tex]x-y=0[/tex]
[tex]1-e^{x}=0[/tex]

Which means you have only (0,0) as an equilibrium point.

verd said:
Hi,

So I keep making mistakes trying to find all of the equilibrium points of different simple nonlinear systems. These problems aren't difficult, it's just that I keep taking different approaches to finding the equilibrium points.

Is there a methodological way to know that I have found all of the equilibrium points for a system?

I have a few examples (below)

Example 1:
[tex]\dot{x}=x(3-x-2y)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=y(2-x-y)[/tex]
An "equilibrium solution" is simply a constant solution and so its derivative is 0. At an equilibrium point we must have
[tex]\dot{x}=x(3-x-2y)= 0[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=y(2-x-y)= 0[/tex]

x(3- x- 2y)= 0 when x= 0 or when 3- x- 2y= 0.

If x= 0, then y(2-x-y)= 0 becomes y(2- y)= 0 so either y= 0 or y= 2. So far, two equilibrium points are (0, 0) and (0, 2).

y(2- x- y)= 0 when y= 0 or 2- x- y= 0.

If y= 0, then x(3- x- 2y)= 0 becomes x(3- x)= 0 so either x= 0 or x= 3. We already had (0, 0) but now we have (3, 0) as a third equilibrium point.

If neither x nor y is 0 then we have 3- x- 2y= 0 and 2- x-y= 0. Subtracting the second equation from the first 1- y= 0 or y= 1. With y= 1, both equations become 1- x= 0 so x= 1. The fourth and last equilibrium point is (1, 1).

Do the same for the rest.
Example 2:
[tex]\dot{x}=x^2-y[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=x-y[/tex]

Example 3:
[tex]\dot{x}=x(2-x-y)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=x-y[/tex]

Example 4:
[tex]\dot{x}=x-y[/tex]

PS, this isn't homework. This is a component of an exam I need to pass, and I'm just looking for a structured way to approach this type of problem.

Thanks in advance
-H

Related to Finding Equilibrium Points of Nonlinear Systems

1. What is the definition of equilibrium point in nonlinear systems?

An equilibrium point in a nonlinear system is a state where the system's variables do not change over time. This means that the system is in a stable state and does not move away from this point unless it is disturbed by an external force.

2. How do you find equilibrium points in a nonlinear system?

To find equilibrium points in a nonlinear system, you need to set all the system's variables equal to zero and then solve for the unknown variables. This will give you a set of values that represent the equilibrium points of the system.

3. Can a nonlinear system have multiple equilibrium points?

Yes, a nonlinear system can have multiple equilibrium points. This is because nonlinear systems are complex and can have multiple stable states where the system's variables do not change over time.

4. How do you know if an equilibrium point in a nonlinear system is stable or unstable?

An equilibrium point in a nonlinear system is stable if the system's variables tend to return to that point when disturbed by small perturbations. It is unstable if the system's variables move away from that point when disturbed.

5. What is the significance of finding equilibrium points in nonlinear systems?

Finding equilibrium points in nonlinear systems is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the system and predict its long-term behavior. It also allows us to analyze the stability of the system and make adjustments to improve its performance.