Finding Equilibrium Charge: Solving for the Number of Electrons Transferred

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with their Physics II homework on electric forces and fields. The specific problem they are trying to solve involves transferring electrons between a plate and a rod to equalize their charges. The student initially thought it would only take 0.5 electrons to equalize the charges but with opposite signs. They then realize they need to transfer 3.4 uC from the plate to the rod to achieve equal charges. Ultimately, they are able to solve the problem with the help of a formula and determine that they need to transfer 1.75 x 10^13 electrons to equalize the charges.
pghjenn19
Please Help! Weve just started Physics II and I am lost already. We have been studying Electric forces and fields and now my homework is due tonight by 11pm and I can't even answerer the first question. I thought this would be an easy chapter since there weren't many formulas but I am stumped!. This seems like an easy question but I have 5 attempts to get it right and now I've used 4. I must be way off. Well here it goes.

A plate carries a charge of -3.3 uC while a rod acarries a charge of +2.3 uC. How many electrons must be transferred from the plate to the rod so that both objects have the same charge?

Well I thought it would be .5 because it would take that many for them to have the same charge but with opp signs. I don't know what formula...doesnt seem like you need one. So far the only one I have is N=q/e

Physics news on Phys.org
If you transfer .5 uC then the plate will have a charge of -2.8 uC and the rod will have 1.8 uC, so they will not have the same charge. Once you determine the correct amount of charge to transfer (q) then you use the equation you cited to determine the number of electrons required (N).

well for them to have the same charge... would you have to transfer 3.4 uC from the plate to the rod? Then the plate would have a +.1uC charge and the plate would have +5.7uC charge. It doesn't say same numerical quantity just charge. Or am I just reading the problem incorectly?

hey i got it...i don't know what i was thinking. i would transfer 2.8 from the plate and then divide by e giving me 1.75 E 13 electrons...thanks for the direction ...

Related to Finding Equilibrium Charge: Solving for the Number of Electrons Transferred

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by a source charge and can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charge of the particle.

2. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured by the electric field intensity, which is the force experienced by a unit positive charge placed in the field. This is represented by the equation E=F/q, where E is the electric field intensity, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It is represented by the equation F=kq1q2/r^2, where F is the force, q1 and q2 are the charges, r is the distance between them, and k is the proportionality constant.

4. How do electric fields affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles in an electric field experience a force, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field if the charge is positive or in the opposite direction if the charge is negative. This acceleration can also cause the particles to change direction or velocity.

5. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric force?

An electric field is a property of space, while an electric force is the actual interaction between two charged particles. The field describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle would experience in that space, while the force is the actual exertion of that field on a particle.