Finding Equilibrium Charge in a Static System

In summary, the question asks for the charge q1 that will result in static equilibrium for the charges q2 and Q. Using Coulomb's Law, the distance between q1 and Q is 10cm and the distance between q1 and q2 is also 10cm. The answer is 18nC.
LIZard137

Homework Statement

In the figure below the charge in the middle is Q = -4.6nC. For what charge q1 will charge q2 be in static equilibrium?

q1-----10cm------Q------10cm------q2

I know that the answer is supposed to be 18nC.

Homework Equations

F=Ke lq1llq2l/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the charges are in static equilibrium, I'd assume that F=0. So...
0=(kel-4.6llq1l/102)+(kelq1lq2l/202)

I've tried several ways of working this problem with Coulomb's Law, but I just can't seem to find the initial step in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LIZard137! :smile:

Just use dimensional analysis …

if you double the distance, what happens to the force? :wink:

Wow I completely over thought that... Now I feel retarded lol. Thanks for the help.

Related to Finding Equilibrium Charge in a Static System

What is static equilibrium and how does it relate to charges?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net motion. In the context of charges, this means that the electric forces between charged objects are equal and opposite, resulting in a stable, stationary arrangement.

What is the difference between a positive and negative charge?

Positive charges have a surplus of protons, which have a positive charge, while negative charges have an excess of electrons, which have a negative charge. The different types of charges interact with each other and with neutral objects in different ways, as described by Coulomb's law.

How does the distance between charges affect their electric force?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric force decreases, and vice versa.

What is the role of conductors and insulators in static equilibrium?

Conductors allow charges to move freely, while insulators prevent the movement of charges. In static equilibrium, conductors can redistribute charges on their surfaces to achieve a stable arrangement, while insulators maintain their original charge distribution.

How do external electric fields affect charges in static equilibrium?

External electric fields can disturb the equilibrium of charges, causing them to move or redistribute. This can occur when a charged object is brought near a neutral object, or when an external electric field is applied to a system of charges in equilibrium.