Finding energy in a 4 object charge system

In summary: Hello Anthony, :welcome:I suspect something went wrong with your calculations, can you show them, please ?Note that 'the system' consists of four charges!These are the numbers I got along with the added ##q_1, q_3##$$ U_{c,q1} = \frac {(9*10^9)(+2.0*10^{-5}) (+10.0*10^{-5})} {2.0} = 9\ J$$$$ U_{c,q2} = \frac {(9*10^9)(+2.0*10^{-5}) (-20.0*10^{-5})
Anthony Santelices

Homework Statement

An object with charge +2.0×10−5 C is moved from position C to position D in the figure (Figure 1) . q1 = q3 = +10.0×10−5 C and q2 = −20.0×10−5 C. All four charged objects are the system.

Here's a picture to the problem
upload_2016-3-28_18-27-18.png

Homework Equations

$$ F = \frac {kq_1 q_2}{r^2} $$
$$ U_e = \frac {kq_1 q_2}{r} $$
$$ a^2+b^2=c^2 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted finding all the energy for the system by finding the initial potential electric energy for each pair of charged objects and added them together. I managed to find the distance from ## q_2 ## to ## q_1## and ##q_3## using Pythagorean theorem.$$ c → q_1, c → q_2, c → q_3, q_2 → q_1, q_2 → q_3 $$
Unfortunately after putting the added energies it came up as wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Anthony, :welcome:

I suspect something went wrong with your calculations, can you show them, please ?
Note that 'the system' consists of four charges!

This is the picture :

upload_2016-3-29_0-26-6.png

Anthony Santelices said:

Homework Statement

An object with charge +2.0×10−5 C is moved from position C to position D in the figure (Figure 1) . q1 = q3 = +10.0×10−5 C and q2 = −20.0×10−5 C. All four charged objects are the system.

Here's a picture to the problem

Homework Equations

$$ F = \frac {kq_1 q_2}{r^2} $$
$$ U_e = \frac {kq_1 q_2}{r} $$
$$ a^2+b^2=c^2 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted finding all the energy for the system by finding the initial potential electric energy for each pair of charged objects and added them together. I managed to find the distance from ## q_2 ## to ## q_1## and ##q_3## using Pythagorean theorem.$$ c → q_1, c → q_2, c → q_3, q_2 → q_1, q_2 → q_3 $$
Unfortunately after putting the added energies it came up as wrong.
Have you left out the pair q1-q3?

ehild said:
This is the picture :

View attachment 98121

Have you left out the pair q1-q3?
Ah yes! It appears I did. However, even without having it I was getting 126 J. It says that the answer is -105 J. So that tells me I messed up somewhere while calculating with all the ##U_e##'s.
BvU said:

I suspect something went wrong with your calculations, can you show them, please ?
I don't have access to my work atm as I am not home. I will make sure to post it as soon I get the chance!

BvU said:

These are the numbers I got along with the added ##q_1, q_3##
$$ U_{c,q1} = \frac {(9*10^9)(+2.0*10^{-5}) (+10.0*10^{-5})} {2.0} = 9\ J$$
$$ U_{c,q2} = \frac {(9*10^9)(+2.0*10^{-5}) (-20.0*10^{-5})} {2.0} = 18\ J$$
$$ U_{c,q3} = \frac {(9*10^9)(+2.0*10^{-5}) (+10.0*10^{-5})} {2.0} = 9\ J$$
$$ U_{q2,q1} = \frac {(9*10^9)(-20.0*10^{-5}) (+10.0*10^{-5})} {2\sqrt2} = 45\ J$$
$$ U_{q2,q3} = \frac {(9*10^9)(-20.0*10^{-5}) (+10.0*10^{-5})} {2\sqrt2} = 45\ J$$
$$ U_{q1,q3} = \frac {(9*10^9)(+10.0*10^{-5}) (+10.0*10^{-5})} {4.0} = 22.5\ J$$

You ignored all the negative signs.

ehild said:
You ignored all the negative signs.
I've tried it with the negative signs, but I end up getting -68. The correct answer shown was -105, so I don't know exactly where I went wrong.

You must include the signs of the charges,
And even the numerical values of U(q2,q1) and U(q2,q3) are wrong.

Related to Finding energy in a 4 object charge system

What is a 4 object charge system?

A 4 object charge system is a system in which four objects with different charges are placed in close proximity to each other. These charges can be positive or negative and can interact with each other through electric forces.

How do you calculate the total energy of a 4 object charge system?

The total energy of a 4 object charge system can be calculated by adding together the potential energy between each pair of objects. This can be done using the equation E = k(q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What factors affect the energy of a 4 object charge system?

The energy of a 4 object charge system is affected by the charges and distances of the objects involved. The larger the charges and the closer the objects are to each other, the higher the energy of the system will be.

Can the energy of a 4 object charge system be negative?

Yes, the energy of a 4 object charge system can be negative if the charges of the objects have opposite signs. This means that the system has a net attractive force, which results in a negative potential energy.

How is the energy of a 4 object charge system related to its stability?

The energy of a 4 object charge system is directly related to its stability. A lower energy system is more stable because it has a lower potential for the objects to repel or attract each other. A higher energy system is less stable and may result in the objects moving or changing positions due to the strong electric forces between them.