Finding energy as a function of Symplectic area?

In summary, the energy of a harmonic oscillator can be expressed as a function of the system's symplectic area, which can be found using Hamilton's equations and the formula for the area enclosed by the orbit on a p vs x plot. Alternatively, the energy can also be determined by solving for p as a function of x using the equation E = p2/2m + (1/2)mω2x2.
BiotFartLaw

Homework Statement

Find the energy E of the harmonic oscillator (H(x,p)=p2/2m+mω2x2) as a function of the system's symplectic area.

Homework Equations

Canonical equations and A=[itex]\int p dx[/itex] (over one period)

The Attempt at a Solution

From Hamilton's equations I get :

[itex]\dot{x}=\partial H/ \partial p[/itex] and [itex]\dot{p}=- \partial H/ \partial x[/itex]

So

[itex]dot{x}=p/m[/itex] and [itex]\dot{p}=-2m\omega2x[/itex]

[itex]x(t)=pt/m ; p(t)=-2m \omega 2xt[/itex]

Then I integrate

[itex]\int pdx = \int p d(pt/m)[/itex]

But I'm not sure how to handle the d(pt/m) term. If I do chain rule (in time) I get something like

[itex]d(pt/m)=1/m (p+\dot{p}))dt [/itex]

and I'm not really sure what the answer is if I do it in x. Since I don't know what dp/dx is. (other than m*dv/dx=m*dx'/dx ... but I'm not sure what good that does me).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the shape of the orbit (for a given energy E) on a p vs x plot. There is a simple geometric formula for the area enclosed in the orbit,##\int{pdx}##.

[EDIT: Or, if you really want to carry out the integration, use E = p2/2m + (1/2)2x2 to find p as a function of x for fixed E.]

Last edited:

Related to Finding energy as a function of Symplectic area?

1. How is energy related to symplectic area?

In physics and mathematics, symplectic area refers to the area enclosed by a closed curve in phase space. Energy, on the other hand, is a measure of a system's ability to do work. In systems that exhibit symplecticity (meaning they preserve the symplectic structure), the energy is directly proportional to the symplectic area.

2. How can symplectic area be used to find energy?

By using the symplectic form, which is a mathematical object that describes the symplectic structure of a system, we can calculate the symplectic area enclosed by a closed curve in phase space. This symplectic area can then be used to determine the energy of the system.

3. What are some real-world applications of finding energy as a function of symplectic area?

One example is in celestial mechanics, where the symplectic area enclosed by the orbit of a planet around a star can be used to calculate the energy of the system. This is important in understanding the stability and evolution of planetary systems. Another application is in Hamiltonian mechanics, where symplectic area is used to analyze the dynamics of physical systems.

4. Is finding energy as a function of symplectic area only applicable to conservative systems?

Yes, the concept of symplectic area and its relationship to energy is only applicable to conservative systems, meaning systems where energy is conserved. In non-conservative systems, such as those with dissipative forces, the symplectic structure is not preserved and the relationship between energy and symplectic area does not hold.

5. How does the concept of symplectic area differ from other measures of area?

In traditional geometry, area is a measure of the size of a two-dimensional shape. However, in symplectic geometry, area is a measure of the size of a two-dimensional region in phase space. It takes into account not only the spatial dimensions, but also the momentum and position of the system. Additionally, symplectic area is a conserved quantity in symplectic systems, unlike traditional area which can change based on the shape and size of the object being measured.