Has controlled nuclear fusion been achieved?

In summary, the conversation discusses the achievement and possibility of controlled nuclear fusion. While energy break-even has been accomplished, monetary break-even is still far off. The definition of "controlled" fusion is also debated, with some saying it should be sustainable and usable. It is predicted that controlled fusion for practical use could be achieved within the next 40 to 50 years. There have been reports of successful sustainable reactions, but the high cost has hindered further progress in this area.
anand
Has controlled nuclear fusion been achieved?If not,is it a possibility in the foreseeable future?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Yes.

Sure it has, unless there is an industry specific use of the word "controlled" that I don't know. Fusion has been used to create a plasma that has been contained. Energy "break-even" has been accomplished, but monetary "break-even" is far off.

Energy break-even - generate as much energy as needed to statr the fusion
Monetary break-even - generate enough surplus energy to pay for the process

Njorl

You're absolutely right. I was over hasty. My apologies.

I think the most practical definition of "controlled" would probably be "sustainable and useable". By this meaning, controlled fusion (fusion that could be used to power and electrical plant) has not been achieved. However, it likely will be within the next 40 to 50 years.

Njorl, are you sure that energy breakeven has been achieved? I keep an eye on the doings at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab, but the last I heard they had only achieved a 10.6 MW yield in a process that consumed something over 30 MW to generate. If they have achieved breakeven already, that would be very encouraging news.

i have heard that scientists in oxford england using a tokomat achieved
a sustainable reaction ,only cost stopped the experiment.
i can not find anything on the net about it sorry.

1. What is controlled nuclear fusion?

Controlled nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei are fused together to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

2. Has controlled nuclear fusion been achieved?

No, controlled nuclear fusion has not been achieved on a large scale yet. Scientists have been working on achieving controlled fusion for many years, but it is still not a viable source of energy.

3. Why is controlled nuclear fusion important?

Controlled nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It does not produce any greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste, making it an attractive alternative to fossil fuels.

4. What challenges are scientists facing in achieving controlled nuclear fusion?

The main challenge in achieving controlled nuclear fusion is creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur. This includes heating the fuel to millions of degrees and containing it in a magnetic field to prevent it from touching the walls of the containment vessel.

5. When do scientists expect controlled nuclear fusion to be achieved?

It is difficult to predict when controlled nuclear fusion will be achieved, as it depends on continued advancements in technology and funding for research. Some scientists estimate that it may be possible within the next few decades, while others believe it could take much longer.