Finding Electric Potential at Point Marked by Dot

In summary, the electric potential at the point marked with a dot on the figure can be determined using the equation V = k * q / r, where V is the potential, k is a constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the point charge. This is a scalar quantity and does not involve vectors or angles. If there are multiple point charges, their potentials can be added together to determine the overall potential at the point.
Netsurfer733

Homework Statement

What is the electric potential at the point indicated with the dot in the figure?

http://img842.imageshack.us/i/29ex26.jpg/

Homework Equations

E = V_c / d ?

V = E*s?

V = k * q / r ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really rather confused by this problem. It requires vectors and angles, etc., I'm sure - but how does one factor in electric potential for this, for some arbitrary point (that has no charge, I presume?)? Can anyone guide me a bit?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential is defined at a point, and it is the potential energy of a unit positive point charge placed there. The potential is scalar quantity, no need to use vectors and angles. The potential at distance r from a point charge q is k*q/r. If there are more point charges, their potentials add up.

ehild

Related to Finding Electric Potential at Point Marked by Dot

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is a constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge at the point, and r is the distance between the point and the source of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of a point marked by a dot in electric potential?

The point marked by a dot represents a specific location in an electric field, and the electric potential at that point can be calculated using the formula mentioned in the previous answer. This point can be used to determine the behavior of charges in the electric field.

4. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field, while electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge on a test charge at a point in an electric field.

5. Can the electric potential at a point marked by a dot be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point marked by a dot can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is attractive at that point, and a positive charge placed at that point would experience a force towards the source of the electric field.