Finding electric flux through the circular cap of a sphere

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric flux through a circular cap with a half-angle of θ = 28.0°, surrounded by a sphere of radius R = 1.40 m containing a particle with charge Q = 42.0 μC at its center. The formula for electric flux is Φ = ∫E⋅dA, where E = (kq)/r^2. The surface area of the cap can be calculated using A = π(h^2 + a^2), where a = Rsin(θ) and h = R(1-cos(θ)). It was found that the fraction of the total flux that goes through the cone of angle θ is given by
quaticle

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R = 1.40 m surrounds a particle with charge Q = 42.0 μC located at its center as shown in the figure below. Find the electric flux through a circular cap of half-angle θ = 28.0°.
24-p-051.gif

Homework Equations

Φ = ∫E⋅dA
E
= (kq)/r2
A = πa2 where a = rsin(θ) --> from Archimedes's formula for area of a spherical cap [excluding the h term since it is along the surface]).

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was calculate the electric field, using E = (kq)/r2 obtaining 1.928x105 N/C. Then using A = πa2 I found the area to be 1.357 m2. Finally using the flux equation I obtained Φ = 2.62x105 Nm2/C. This answer is incorrect and the correct answer is given as 2.78x105 Nm2/C. I am unsure my method is correct. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
quaticle said:
[excluding the h term since it is along the surface]
Not sure what you mean, but h is not zero.

Doc Al said:
Not sure what you mean, but h is not zero.
I wasn't sure if the h (height) variable was needed since the portion I am supposed to calculate the flux through is a flat area on the surface of the sphere. I wasn't sure how to find the area of that, and through searches found Archimedes' formula shown in the op. I just re-calculated and when taking the height to be r*cos(θ) I am further from the correct answer. We haven't used the formula before, I had found it an assumed it suitable for these circumstances but do not think it is useful anymore...

quaticle said:
I wasn't sure if the h (height) variable was needed since the portion I am supposed to calculate the flux through is a flat area on the surface of the sphere.
Realize that you need the component of the field perpendicular to whatever area you choose. Using the spherical cap makes that easy.

quaticle said:
I just re-calculated and when taking the height to be r*cos(θ) I am further from the correct answer.
That's not the height.

Even better than all this: What fraction of the total flux goes through that cone of angle θ? (Think in terms of solid angles.)

quaticle said:

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R = 1.40 m surrounds a particle with charge Q = 42.0 μC located at its center as shown in the figure below. Find the electric flux through a circular cap of half-angle θ = 28.0°.
24-p-051.gif
YVgNr.png

Homework Equations

Φ = ∫E⋅dA
E
= (kq)/r2
A = πa2 where a = rsin(θ) --> from Archimedes's formula for area of a spherical cap [excluding the h term since it is along the surface]).
?

You have used wrong formula for the surface area of the cap. It is A=pi(h2+a2) where a is the radius of the cap and h is its high. a= Rsin(θ) and h = R(1-cos(θ))

Doc Al said:
Even better than all this: What fraction of the total flux goes through that cone of angle θ? (Think in terms of solid angles.)
The fraction of flux we are interested in goes through θ°/360°, right? So find the total flux like one normally would then find that fraction of it?

quaticle said:
The fraction of flux we are interested in goes through θ°/360°, right? So find the total flux like one normally would then find that fraction of it?
Almost. But it's a sphere, not a circle. Hint: How many steradians make up a sphere?

Doc Al said:
Almost. But it's a sphere, not a circle. Hint: How many steradians make up a sphere?
I am not sure what a steradian is, but a quick google search tells me 4π steradians are in a sphere. Do I then multiple the fraction by 4π?

quaticle said:
I am not sure what a steradian is, but a quick google search tells me 4π steradians are in a sphere.
Good.

quaticle said:
Do I then multiple the fraction by 4π?
First you need to know how many steradians are in that cone of angle θ. Then find what fraction that is of the whole sphere.

Doc Al said:
First you need to know how many steradians are in that cone of angle θ. Then find what fraction that is of the whole sphere.
And this can be done using Ω = 2π(1-cos(θ)) ? This will give me the solid angle of the cone and then I divide that by the total sr of a sphere (4π) to obtain the fraction of the whole through which the flux I need flows...

quaticle said:
And this can be done using Ω = 2π(1-cos(θ)) ? This will give me the solid angle of the cone and then I divide that by the total sr of a sphere (4π) to obtain the fraction of the whole through which the flux I need flows...
Yes.

Doc Al said:
Yes.
Awesome thanks a lot, using these ideas I was able to obtain the correct answer!

Cool. :smile:

Related to Finding electric flux through the circular cap of a sphere

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field that passes through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How do you calculate electric flux through a circular cap of a sphere?

The electric flux through a circular cap of a sphere can be calculated using the formula Φ = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field, A is the area of the cap, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the cap.

What is the normal vector to a circular cap of a sphere?

The normal vector to a circular cap of a sphere is a vector that is perpendicular to the surface of the cap. It is the direction in which the electric field would be pointing if it were passing through the cap.

What is the significance of finding electric flux through a circular cap of a sphere?

Finding the electric flux through a circular cap of a sphere can help us understand the strength and direction of the electric field at that particular point on the surface. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of electric charges and designing electrical systems.

How does the electric flux through a circular cap of a sphere change with distance?

The electric flux through a circular cap of a sphere is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the cap. This means that as the distance increases, the electric flux decreases. This is because the electric field weakens as you move further away from the source charge.