Finding electric field of a bent uniform charged rod.

In summary, the problem is trying to integrate an electric field equation. Known equations are E=k§dq/r^2 and lambda=Q/L. The attempt is to solve for dq and r using lamda and Q/L, but is having difficulty with r. R is found to be equal to L/pi.
freshcoast
1. Problem statement.
2h52yrt.jpg

2. Known equations.
E = k § dq/r^2

Lamda = Q/L

3. Attempt.

I am having trouble figuring out the dq in this situation. I know that lamda = Q/L, and since those 2 are the variables that are changing I take the derivative of them so it looks like

Lamda = dq/dL

I solve for dq giving me dq = lamda * dL

Which is where I am stuck. When I enter the new dq into the integral for the electric field, I do not know what to use for the r^2, I am aware that L=R(theta) but I am having trouble being able to manipulate R in terms of L since the only way is having a theta into the integral, but I can't integrate it because the bounds are going to be the length of the rod..

Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dq = lambda*r*d(theta) and integrating in polar coordinates. You will integrate over a half circle, i.e. from 0 to pi. R=r=constant because of the semicircle shape. You can use geometry to find the radius since the length of the rod is 1/2 the circumference of a full circle.

Consider an element of length dl at angle θ .Now dq=λdl and dl=rdθ .The electric field due to this tiny part dl will be dE as shown in the figure.The component of dE in horizontal direction is dEsinθ and that in vertical direction is dEcosθ.This component dEcosθ is canceled by a similar component of electric field due to element which is symmetric to this in the lower half of the semicircle.

So essentially we have,E=∫dEsinθ where dE=k(dq)/r2

Attachments

• rod.GIF
    rod.GIF
    11 KB · Views: 1,158
Last edited:
Hmm, I am still having trouble figuring out what R is,

from what Ampere is saying, I can set L = 2*pi*r, and since it is a semi circle, L = pi*r, and I can solve for R,

so far my integral looks like this

[tex]E = k∫λ r dθ /r2 (sinθ) (i)[/tex]

after some simplification it ended up as

[tex]E = kλ/r * ∫sinθdθ (i)[/tex]

lambda then turns into Q/L

[tex]E = [kq/L* R] * ∫sinθdθ (i)[/tex] integral bounds would be from 0 to pi

after integration I get,

[tex]E = kq/L*R * (-cos(pi) - (-cos(0)) (i)[/tex]

[tex]E = kq/L * R * (-(-1) - (-(1)) (i) [/tex]

[tex]E = 2kq/L*R [/tex]

but when I plug everything I don't get the correct answer. the answer in the book is 2.16 N/C

btw I have another question about the direction, why is the direction of the force is pushing the point away instead of towards it, since the rod is negatively charged, doesn't that mean it should be an attraction force?

freshcoast said:
Hmm, I am still having trouble figuring out what R is

R and r are the same thing.They are the distance of the point O from each tiny bit of the rod ,equal to the radius of the semi circular rod.

freshcoast said:
btw I have another question about the direction, why is the direction of the force is pushing the point away instead of towards it, since the rod is negatively charged, doesn't that mean it should be an attraction force?

Yes...the direction should be opposite to what i have shown in the figure.I didnt notice the rod was having negative charge.

Last edited:
R and r are the same thing.They are the distance of the point O from each tiny bit of the rod ,equal to the radius of the semi circular rod.

yes but I am having trouble finding the value of R given only L, since I know that R is related to L because length is equal to circumference of the circle, is it safe to say that R = L / pi ?

∏r =L → r=L/∏

freshcoast...Please recheck the answer .The answer I am getting is 2.16 *107 N/C.

freshcoast said:
after some simplification it ended up as

[tex]E = kλ/r * ∫sinθdθ (i)[/tex]

lambda then turns into Q/L

[tex]E = [kq/L* R] * ∫sinθdθ (i)[/tex] integral bounds would be from 0 to pi

[tex]E = 2kq/L*R [/tex]

but when I plug everything I don't get the correct answer. the answer in the book is 2.16 N/C

You multiplied by R instead of dividing by it, I am afraid. It should be [tex]E = \frac{2kq}{L*R} [/tex]

ehild

Oh, that must be why, since I downloaded the pdf version of the book I guess it is not showing most of the answer, so the correct answer is 2.16 x 10^7 N/C, which is what I got, cool thanks!

Well done :thumbs:

Related to Finding electric field of a bent uniform charged rod.

1. How do you find the electric field of a bent uniform charged rod?

To find the electric field of a bent uniform charged rod, you can use the formula: E = k * (2 * λ * sinθ / r), where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge density of the rod, θ is the angle between the rod and the point where you want to find the electric field, and r is the distance between the rod and the point.

2. What is the Coulomb's constant?

The Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that relates the strength of the electric force between two charged particles to the distance between them. Its value is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2.

3. Can the electric field of a bent uniform charged rod be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a bent uniform charged rod can be negative. This depends on the direction of the electric field at a specific point. If the electric field is pointing towards the rod, it will be considered negative, and if it is pointing away from the rod, it will be considered positive.

4. How does the angle between the rod and the point affect the electric field?

The angle between the rod and the point plays a crucial role in determining the electric field. As the angle increases, the electric field decreases, and as the angle decreases, the electric field increases. This is because the component of the electric field perpendicular to the rod decreases as the angle increases, while the component parallel to the rod remains the same.

5. Is the electric field of a bent uniform charged rod the same at all points?

No, the electric field of a bent uniform charged rod is not the same at all points. It varies depending on the distance from the rod and the angle between the rod and the point. This is because the electric field is dependent on both the distance and the angle in the formula E = k * (2 * λ * sinθ / r).