Finding Electric Field for Spherical Charge Distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field when a charge density varies as \rho(r) = Ke^{-br}, where 0 < r < a in a spherical region of space. The attempt at a solution involves using the integral Q = \int \int \int \rho dV to find the total charge, and then using E = kQ/r^2 to find the electric field. An alternative approach using dq = \rho r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi is also mentioned, but it is determined that the first approach is correct.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

There is a charge density rho that exists in a spherical region of space defined by 0 < r < a.
[tex]\rho (r) = Ke^{-br}[/tex]
How do you find the electric field if a charge density varies as such?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Q total = [tex]\int \int \int \rho dV[/tex]
Now I need to find E.

My real question is can I just put Q (as a function of r) into E = kQ/r^2? Or do I need to reevaluate the integral using dq = [tex]\rho r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

I get two different answers, (and I would have thought they should be the same) so which method is correct? I would have thought either would work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? Q is the integral of the charge density over the volume. Also, I think you mean [itex]dr = rho r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]. What did you do for your integral?

Why [tex]sin(\theta)[/tex]? rho depends only on r so [tex]dQ = 4\pi Kr^{2}e^{-br}dr[/tex]

Oh whoops, I shouldn't have had rho in there, and I missed it when you had it. You were right about the dq I was questioning. dq= rho *spherical jacobian (i.e. spherical integration differentials), which is what you had.

Yes, [tex]dQ = 4\pi Kr^{2}e^{-br}dr[/tex]

This is the way you want to go. I don't really understand what other way you would have gone about it.

Related to Finding Electric Field for Spherical Charge Distribution?

1. What is spherical charge distribution?

Spherical charge distribution is a concept in physics that describes the distribution of electric charge in a spherical shape. It is often used to model the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons, protons, and ions, in a spherical object.

2. How is spherical charge distribution different from other types of charge distribution?

Spherical charge distribution is unique because it assumes that the charge is evenly distributed throughout the entire spherical object. This is different from other types of charge distribution, such as point charge or linear charge distribution, where the charge is concentrated at a single point or along a line, respectively.

3. What is the mathematical equation for calculating the electric field of a spherical charge distribution?

The mathematical equation for calculating the electric field of a spherical charge distribution is given by E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the spherical object, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

4. How does the electric field vary with distance in a spherical charge distribution?

In a spherical charge distribution, the electric field decreases as the distance from the center of the sphere increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. Can a spherical charge distribution exist in real life?

While it is not possible to create a perfect spherical charge distribution in real life, it can be approximated in some systems, such as a charged conducting sphere. However, factors like imperfections and external influences may affect the distribution of charge, making it deviate from a perfect spherical shape.