Finding Electric Field and Speed of Electron in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor

In summary, Figure 19-38 shows an electron entering a parallel-plate capacitor with a speed of v = 5.25 106 m/s. The electric field of the capacitor has deflected the electron downward by a distance of d = 0.626 cm at the point where the electron exits the capacitor. To find the magnitude of the electric field, we can use the formula F=ma and E=F/q. However, since the mass and charge of the electron are not given, we cannot solve for the electric field. To find the speed of the electron when it exits the capacitor, we can use the formula t=d/v to calculate the time it takes for the electron to travel the distance d. Then, using
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Figure 19-38 shows an electron entering a parallel-plate capacitor with a speed of v = 5.25 106 m/s. The electric field of the capacitor has deflected the electron downward by a distance of d = 0.626 cm at the point where the electron exits the capacitor.
19-38alt.gif

(a) Find the magnitude of the electric field in the capacitor.
b) Find the speed of the electron when it exits the capacitor.

Part A:
E=F/q, but q is not given
F=ma, but m is not given
F=kQq/r2
I don't know where to start.

Part B:
Compute time:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
t = \frac{d}{v} \\
\\
t = \frac{{0.025m}}{{5.25 \times 10^6 m/s}} = 4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} s \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Compute acceleration:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
y_f = y_i + v_i t + 0.5at^2 \\
\\
a = \frac{{y_f - y_i - v_i t}}{{0.5t^2 }} \\
\\
a = \frac{{0.626m - 0 - 0t}}{{0.5t^2 }} \\
\\
a = \frac{{0.00626m}}{{0.5\left( {4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} s} \right)^2 }} = 6.81644 \times 10^{12} m/s^2 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Compute velocity:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
v_{y,f} = v_{y,i} + at \\
\\
v_{y,f} = 0 + 6.81644 \times 10^{12} \times 4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} \\
\\
v_{y,f} = 292133.33 \\
\\
v_f = \sqrt {v_{y,f}^2 + v_x^2 } \\
\\
v_f = \sqrt {(292133.33m/s)^2 + (5.25 \times 10^6 m/s)^2} \\
\\
v_f = 5.258122 \times 10^6 m/s \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
But this answer is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the question sof part A and B?

Oops. Maybe that's why I'm confused. I don't know what they're asking :).

I edited the post to include the questions. Thanks for pointing that out.

1.)

F=ma where m is the mass of an electron.
E=F/q where q is the charge of the electron

I'll have a look at 2.)

Kurdt said:
F=ma where m is the mass of an electron.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I can't trust my answer since I seem to have gotten acceleration wrong in part b, unless my mistake in part b comes after my computation of acceleration.

To be honest part b looks ok to me. Do you have the real answer and perhaps I could work backwards? Probably the fact its past midnight here is not helping me think straight ;)

Is the answer 6x10^6 m/s? If so I'll tell you how I arrived at that.

I don't know what the answer is. The online grading system gave me the red x on the answer I put. In fact, I'm out of guesses, so I can't try 6e6. But I'd still like to know how to do it, and I still need a good value for acceleration for the f=ma part.

Just curious. If you think it's 6e6, then where did we depart in methods?

Thanks for your help so far.

To calculate the velocity i used:

V^2=u^2+2as

That was all really as far as acceleration was concerned I concur with yourself. The final answer was 5.99... some other bunch of numbers so i rounded it up.

What is u and what is s?

For part A, it gives the units for the answer as N/C.

I used my acceleration value of 6.81644e12 with the mass of an electron, 9.11e-31, and the charge of an electron 1.6e-19 C.

6.81644e12 m/s2* 9.11e-31 kg / 1.6e-19 C
-38.11 N/C

But it says this is wrong too. This problem looks so simple.

tony873004 said:
Part B:
Compute time:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
t = \frac{d}{v} \\
\\
t = \frac{{0.025m}}{{5.25 \times 10^6 m/s}} = 4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} s \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Redo this calculation. It's off by a factor of 10.

Thanks for catching that. It's off by more than that. Now I get
4.76E-09

I'll blame it on the calculator :)

u is initial velocity and s is displacement. With the numbers for part a that you've quoted i get 38.81 N/C. I fear perhaps there are just a few computational errors. As far as I can see the method for A is fine just computational errors perhaps (remember it says magnitude aswell) and if you do part b with the formula i used that should be alright.

Oh well there you are how did I not spot that!

Typos galore in this one! Where I wrote 0.025 should read 0.0225, which is the number I used in the calculator. So I am off by exactly 1 magnitude like Doc Al said, and not more like I thought I was.

The answer for part A is 3881. This is exactly 2 magnitudes off of the answer we were getting, which is not surprising since time was off by 1 magnitude and it gets squared.

Thanks Kurdt and Doc Al. Now I understand :)

Was doc al mainly I have to say but its weird cos I tried the time numbers myself and because it was an exact order of magnitude out I did not notice. Apologies.

Related to Finding Electric Field and Speed of Electron in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor

1. How do you find the electric field in a parallel-plate capacitor?

The electric field in a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated by dividing the voltage or potential difference between the two plates by the distance between them. This can be represented by the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. What is the relationship between the electric field and the speed of electrons in a parallel-plate capacitor?

The electric field in a parallel-plate capacitor is directly proportional to the speed of electrons. This means that as the electric field increases, the speed of electrons also increases. This relationship can be represented by the equation E = mv/q, where m is the mass of the electron, v is the speed of the electron, and q is the charge of the electron.

3. How can the speed of electrons be calculated in a parallel-plate capacitor?

The speed of electrons in a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on the electron by its mass. This can be represented by the equation v = q/m, where v is the speed of the electron, q is the charge on the electron, and m is the mass of the electron.

4. What factors affect the electric field and speed of electrons in a parallel-plate capacitor?

The electric field and speed of electrons in a parallel-plate capacitor are affected by the voltage, distance between the plates, and the charge and mass of the electron. Increasing the voltage or decreasing the distance between the plates will result in a stronger electric field and faster electrons. The speed of electrons will also increase with a decrease in the mass of the electron or an increase in its charge.

5. Can the electric field and speed of electrons in a parallel-plate capacitor be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field and speed of electrons in a parallel-plate capacitor can be manipulated by changing the voltage, distance between the plates, or the charge and mass of the electron. By adjusting these factors, the strength of the electric field and the speed of the electrons can be controlled to fit specific requirements.