Finding Einstein notation version of a given flow equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Einstein's notation to express a flow equation with a diagonalized K tensor. The confusion arises from the repeated use of an index and whether it is allowed in the notation. The given solution simplifies the equation to only use one index, but it can be further reduced if needed. The use of dummy variables can also simplify the expression. The conversation suggests using the kronecker delta tensor to see which terms disappear and to find the minimal representation in the Einstein convention form.
geojenny

Homework Statement

This is from lecture, not a homework problem per se. But I need assistance.

The problem was to write this form of a flow equation in Einstein's notation:

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\partial }{ \partial x_1}(K_1 \frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1}) + \frac{\partial }{ \partial x_2}(K_2 \frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2})+ \frac{\partial }{ \partial x_3}(K_3 \frac{\partial h}{\partial x_3}) = 0 [/itex]

Where [itex]K_1, K_2, K_3[/itex] are from a diagonalized form of the K tensor.

The Attempt at a Solution

The given solution is [itex]\frac {\partial} {\partial x_i} (K_i \frac {\partial h} { \partial x_i}) = 0 [/itex], where i = 1,..,3

Which is supposed to be related to
[itex]\frac {\partial} {\partial x_i} (K_{ij} \frac {\partial h } { \partial x_j }) = 0[/itex] when [itex] K_{ij} = 0[/itex] if i ≠ j

I'm confused because there's an index repeated twice (appears three times), which I learned is bad in a different class. Is there a better way to write this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody have any idea? This isn't a homework question, and my engineering professor said to simply replace all three subscripts with an i to get Einstein's summation convention, and a repeated subscript implies summation.

However, I'm pretty sure this is incorrect because I have independently learned that the subscript can only be repeated once (appear twice). Is this really a correct way to express the equation in Einstein's notation?

Hey geojenny.

I'm not exactly sure where the confusion is: the reduction given is the minimally reduced form of the expression since the summation can be simplified using only the one index (which is why the minimum form has only that one index).

If you could not reduce it down to something further and needed an extra dummy variable, then you simply use another dummy variable: that is pretty much it. If you can collapse tensors then this just means that you can simplify the actual number of indices.

You might want to consider that for K_ij see what happens we multiply that tensor by the kronecker delta tensor d_ij (which in matrix form is just an identity matrix) and when you expand everything out, see what terms dissappear (from multiplication by 0) and see what terms don't and then look at the form to see if you can find the minimal representation (as a summation) in the Einstein convention form.

Related to Finding Einstein notation version of a given flow equation

What is the purpose of finding the Einstein notation version of a given flow equation?

The Einstein notation version of a flow equation is a compact and efficient way of representing a mathematical relationship between variables. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex equations, making it a useful tool for scientists and mathematicians.

What is the difference between Einstein notation and standard notation?

Einstein notation uses Greek letters and superscripts to represent indices and summations, while standard notation uses subscripts and explicit summation symbols. Einstein notation is more concise and avoids repetition of indices, making it easier to read and write for complex equations.

How do I convert a given flow equation into Einstein notation?

To convert a flow equation into Einstein notation, you must first identify the repeated indices in the equation. These indices will be replaced with Greek letters and summations will be represented by a dot product. The result will be a condensed version of the equation in Einstein notation.

Why is Einstein notation often used in physics and engineering?

Einstein notation is particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering because it allows for simpler and more elegant representation of complex equations. It also makes calculations and derivations easier and more efficient, saving time and effort in problem-solving.

Are there any drawbacks to using Einstein notation?

One possible drawback of using Einstein notation is that it may take some time to get used to, especially for those who are more familiar with standard notation. Additionally, certain equations may not lend themselves well to Einstein notation and may be more easily represented in standard notation.