Finding eigenvectors for a double root

In summary, brunette15 was able to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the matrix. She was also able to find that the eigenvalues are -4 and 8. She has questions about how to find the corresponding eigenvectors, and if there are any errors in her calculations.
brunette15
I have the following matrix: [-1 3 -3(2)^0.5 ; 3 -1 -3(2)^0.5 ; -3(2)^0.5 -3(2)^0.5 2]

I was able to find the eigenvalues as -4 and 8.

I am now trying to find the corresponding eigenvectors how since -4 is a double root i am unsure how to go about this.

I have tried using gaussian elimination however i always end up with too many unknown variables.

Can anyone please work me through this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brunette15,

Your eigenvalues are correct. Let's start with finding the eigenspace corresponding to $\lambda=-4$. Let $E_{\lambda=-4}$ be the eigenspace corresponding to $\lambda=-4$, then:

$E_{\lambda=-4}=\text{null}(-4I-A)=\text{null}\left[\begin{array}{c}-3 & -3 & 3 \sqrt{2} \\ -3&-3 & 3 \sqrt{2} \\ 3 \sqrt{2} & 3 \sqrt{2} & -6 \end{array}\right]$

Now, instead of using GE, you can notice that the 2nd and 3rd row are both scalar multiplies of the first one, so:
$E_{\lambda=-4}=\text{null}\left[\begin{array}{c}-3 & -3 & 3 \sqrt{2} \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]$

Solving $(-4I-A)X=0$, where $X=\left[\begin{array}{c}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right]$, we get $-3x_1-3x_2+3\sqrt{2}x_3=0$.
We can say $x_1=-1x_2+\sqrt{2}x_3$, $x_2=x_2$, $x_3=x_3$, and:

$X=\left[\begin{array}{c}-x_2+\sqrt{2} x_3 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}-1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right]x_2+\left[\begin{array}{c}\sqrt{2} \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array}\right]x_3$
Finally,
$E_{\lambda=-4}=\text{span}\left[\begin{array}{c}-1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right],\left[\begin{array}{c}\sqrt{2} \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array}\right]$

Let me know if you have any questions, or if there is a calculation error somewhere. I leave you with $\lambda=8$.

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Hi brunette15,

Your eigenvalues are correct. Let's start with finding the eigenspace corresponding to $\lambda=-4$. Let $E_{\lambda=-4}$ be the eigenspace corresponding to $\lambda=-4$, then:

$E_{\lambda=-4}=\text{null}(-4I-A)=\text{null}\left[\begin{array}{c}-3 & -3 & 3 \sqrt{2} \\ -3&-3 & 3 \sqrt{2} \\ 3 \sqrt{2} & 3 \sqrt{2} & -6 \end{array}\right]$

Now, instead of using GE, you can notice that the 2nd and 3rd row are both scalar multiplies of the first one, so:
$E_{\lambda=-4}=\text{null}\left[\begin{array}{c}-3 & -3 & 3 \sqrt{2} \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]$

Solving $(-4I-A)X=0$, where $X=\left[\begin{array}{c}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right]$, we get $-3x_1-3x_2+3\sqrt{2}x_3=0$.
We can say $x_1=-1x_2+\sqrt{2}x_3$, $x_2=x_2$, $x_3=x_3$, and:

$X=\left[\begin{array}{c}-x_2+\sqrt{2} x_3 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}-1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right]x_2+\left[\begin{array}{c}\sqrt{2} \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array}\right]x_3$
Finally,
$E_{\lambda=-4}=\text{span}\left[\begin{array}{c}-1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right],\left[\begin{array}{c}\sqrt{2} \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array}\right]$

Let me know if you have any questions, or if there is a calculation error somewhere. I leave you with $\lambda=8$.

Thankyou!:D

Related to Finding eigenvectors for a double root

1. What are eigenvectors for a double root?

Eigenvectors for a double root are special vectors that correspond to a repeated eigenvalue in a matrix. They represent the direction of the linear transformation that is preserved by the matrix.

2. How do you find eigenvectors for a double root?

To find eigenvectors for a double root, you first need to find the eigenvalue associated with the double root. Then, you can use the standard methods of finding eigenvectors, such as solving a system of equations or using the characteristic polynomial.

3. Can a double root have more than one eigenvector?

Yes, a double root can have multiple eigenvectors associated with it. This is because an eigenvector can be multiplied by any scalar value and still be considered an eigenvector for the same eigenvalue.

4. Do all matrices with double roots have eigenvectors?

No, not all matrices with double roots have eigenvectors. For a matrix to have eigenvectors, it must be square and have a repeated eigenvalue. If a matrix does not meet these requirements, it will not have eigenvectors.

5. Why are eigenvectors for a double root important?

Eigenvectors for a double root are important because they provide valuable information about the behavior of a linear transformation. They can help us understand how a matrix will affect a vector and can be used in various applications, such as image processing and data compression.