Finding Eigenvalue for Ĥ: A Homework Statement

• Thread starter terp.asessed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalue
In summary, the function f(r) = Ce-r(Am/ħ2) is an EIGENFUNCTION of Ĥ provided that the constant a is chosen correctly. Find the correct a and give the eigenvalue.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

Suppose:

Ĥ = - (ħ2/(2m))(delta)2 - A/r
where r = (x2+y2+z2)
(delta)2 = ∂2/∂x2 + ∂2/∂y2 + ∂2/∂z2
A = a constant

Then, show that a function of the form,

f(r) = Ce-r/a

with a, C as constants, is an EIGENFUNCTION of Ĥ provided that the constant a is chosen correctly. Find the correct a and give the eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

Given above

The Attempt at a Solution

Because Ĥ is an energy (Hamiltonian) operator, I put E as an eigenvalue in the following equation: Ĥf(r) = Ef(r)
So...
- (ħ2/(2m))(delta)2[Ce-r/a] - A/r = ECe-r/a
- (ħ2/(2m)) [Ce-r/a/a2 - 2Ce-r/a/(ra)] - A/r = E*Ce-r/a
..was what I've been doing...so:

E = - {(ħ2/(2m)) [Ce-r/a/a2 - 2Ce-r/a/(ra)] - A/r}/(Ce-r/a)

..but I am at loss as to if it is the right E eigenvalue and as how to get the "a" value? Also, a question--is {-A/r} in the Hamiltonian operator a potential energy part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The energy eigenvalue must be a constant independent of the coordinate r.

Independent of r? So, does it mean E should be some number based on a, C, and A?

I have been trying to eliminate "r", but I keep failing:

- (ħ2/(2m)) (C/a) [1/a - 2/r] - A/(re-r/a) = E*C
- Cħ2/(2ma) (1/a - 2/r) - A/(re-r/a) = EC

...I still haven't managed to eliminate r...

Last edited:
Well, C is a normalization constant and will not matter. You must determine a such that E is independent of r. Being a constant independent of the coordinates is the entire point of E being an eigenvalue to H.

Wait, I am getting slightly confuse--I thought a was supposed to be some value, without "r" in it?

Yes, a is also a constant independent of r.

Note that you have also forgotten the f(r) in the potential energy term in the original post ...

Could you please clarify by what you mean by:

Orodruin said:
Note that you have also forgotten the f(r) in the potential energy term in the original post ...

I thought -A/r was potential energy term?

terp.asessed said:
In this expression, you have included Ce-r/a in all terms except the -A/r term. This term is also a part of the Hamiltonian and must also act on the wave function. In the end, you should be able to divide out this term.

Likes terp.asessed
Ohhhhhhhh, so Hf(x) = - (ħ2/(2m))(delta)2[Ce-r/a] - A[Ce-r/a]/r ? Plus, -Af(x)/r is the potential term, then?

Thank you for your patience with me!

Yes. After performing the derivatives you should now be able to fix a such that E is a constant independent of r.

Likes terp.asessed
So, a = Am/ħ2 and E = -ħ2/(2ma2) = -ħ6/(2m3A2)?

I believe you have made an arithmetic error. You should obtain the inverse of your expression for a. Otherwise I think you now have the correct idea.

fixed my mistake and got a = ħ2/(Am), and E = -A2m/(2ħ2)

By the way, just on my own (aside from hw-related question previously), I sketched the function f(r) = Ce-r(Am/ħ2) as a function of r and I am curious if the graph does correspond to the ground state?

Last edited:

Related to Finding Eigenvalue for Ĥ: A Homework Statement

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the amount by which a vector is scaled when it is multiplied by a matrix. It is a characteristic of a matrix and can provide important information about its properties.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation, which is the determinant of the matrix minus a multiple of the identity matrix. This will give you a polynomial equation, and the roots of this equation will be the eigenvalues.

3. Why are eigenvalues important?

Eigenvalues are important because they can tell us about the behavior and properties of a matrix. They are used in various applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science, to solve problems and make predictions.

4. Can all matrices have eigenvalues?

Yes, all square matrices have eigenvalues. However, not all matrices have real eigenvalues. Some matrices may have complex eigenvalues, which can still provide useful information about the matrix.

5. How are eigenvalues related to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that are scaled by the eigenvalues when multiplied by a matrix. They can be thought of as the directions in which the matrix does not change the vector's direction, only its magnitude.