Finding Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane using Work theory.

In summary: I've done this problem before, and the key thing is realizing that the force of friction is parallel to the displacement.
bac2789

Homework Statement

A box of mass m with an initial velocity of v0 slides down a plane, inclined at θ with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is μ. The box stops after sliding a distance x. How much work is done by friction?

Homework Equations

Work=Force*x*cosθ
W=ΔKE
KE0=(.5)(m)(v02)

The Attempt at a Solution

FF=(μ)(FN)

FNety=FN-Fgy
0=FN-Fgy
FN=Fgy

Fgy=mgcosθ

FFK=(μ)(FN)
FFK=(μ)(mgcosθ)

Work=Force*x*cosθ
Work=(μ)(mgcosθ)*x*cosθ

Something tells me this is not correct... To be honest I'm completely lost on this one =( Thats as close as I could get, and its not one of the answer choices. I'd be really thankful for anyone who could help show me the process of deriving the work done by friction!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your line here:
Work=(μ)(mgcosθ)*x*cosθ

(μ)(mgcosθ) is the Force of friction.

I take it that xcosθ is supposed to be the distance. The distance should be the length of the hyp of the inclined plane that the block has traveled. Since you have μmgcosθ as the force of friction, it looks to me like your axis is parallel with the top/side of the box. In that case, if down the slope was positive, wouldn't the distance traveled just be x?

Oh your saying the second cosθ=1 because the angle between the force and displacement is 0°! So that would give me:

Work = (μ)(mgcosθ)*x*1

Now That seems more reasonable haha!

Oh wait >.< My bad, I typed up the wrong title for my question. Yes, your right haha, the distance traveled would be represented by x. Sorry, its late. But you did help me indirectly =P

Sorry for the late reply then, glad I could help.

Related to Finding Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane using Work theory.

1. What is the formula for finding Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane using Work theory?

The formula for finding Δx (displacement) of a box sliding down an inclined plane using Work theory is Δx = (mgh)/W, where m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the inclined plane, and W is the work done by the force of gravity on the box.

2. How is Work theory used to calculate Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane?

Work theory is used to calculate Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane by considering the work done by the force of gravity on the box. This work is equal to the product of the force of gravity and the displacement of the box in the direction of the force. By equating this work to the initial potential energy of the box at the top of the inclined plane, we can find the displacement of the box at any point along the inclined plane.

3. What is the significance of finding Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane using Work theory?

Finding Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane using Work theory is significant because it allows us to understand the relationship between work, energy, and displacement. It also helps us to calculate the distance traveled by an object on an inclined plane, which is useful in various real-life applications such as designing ramps and slides.

4. Can Work theory be used to find Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane if the angle of the incline is unknown?

Yes, Work theory can still be used to find Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane even if the angle of the incline is unknown. In this case, we can use trigonometry to find the height of the inclined plane, and then use the formula Δx = (mgh)/W to calculate the displacement of the box.

5. Are there any limitations to using Work theory to find Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane?

One limitation of using Work theory to find Δx of a box sliding down an inclined plane is that it assumes the force of gravity is the only force acting on the box. In reality, there may be other forces, such as friction, that can affect the displacement of the box. Additionally, this method may not be accurate for more complex inclined planes with varying angles or curves.