Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

finding dot product

sp3

Sep 3, 2018
Hi! I'm given 2 points C(2;6) and D(0;10), a vector A with its components = (-3, 2). I'm asked to find the dot product between vector CD and an unknown vector K, knowing that K is perpendicular to A, same norm as A and with a negative x-component. I know that perpendicular means the dot product=0 and vector CD has a norm \sqrt{40} if i calculate it, but I have no clue how to solve it (we cant have a calculator).

Thank you for your help!

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
vector K would be $\left<-2,-3\right>$

vector CD would be $\left<-2,4\right>$

can you find the dot product?

sp3

Sep 3, 2018
Thanks for the reply, how did you find vector K?

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply, how did you find vector K?
two ways ...

1. $\vec{A} = \left<-3,2 \right>$ has slope $m = -\dfrac{2}{3} \implies \vec{K}$ has slope $m_{\perp} = \dfrac{3}{2}$.

since $\vec{K}$ has a negative x component, then so does its y-component ... same magnitude means $\vec{K} = \left<x,y \right> = \left<-2,-3 \right>$

2. let $\vec{K} = \left<x,y\right>$

$\vec{A} \cdot \vec{K} = -3x + 2y = 0 \implies y = \dfrac{3}{2} x$

$|\vec{A}| = |\vec{K}| \implies \sqrt{(-3)^2 + 2^2} = \sqrt{x^2+y^2} \implies x^2+y^2 = 13 \implies x^2 + \dfrac{9}{4} x^2 = 13 \implies \dfrac{13}{4} x^2 = 13 \implies x = \pm 2$

$x < 0 \implies x = -2 \implies y = -3$

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Equivalently, one vector perpendicular perpendicular to (a, b) with the same norm is (-b, a), another is (b, -a). Here, K= (-3, 2) so those two perpendicular vector are (-2, 4) and (2, -3). The first has x component negative.