Finding Domain of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the domain of the expression \sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})} and determining its non-negative values. It was concluded that the expression is non-negative when 4k^{2}\pi^{2}\le x\le(2k+1)^{2}\pi^{2} where k\in\mathbb{N_0}. The conversation also addressed squaring the inequality and its impact on the result.
Yankel
Hello all,

First, congratulations on the quick LATEX bar on the side, will try it now the first time.

I am looking for the domain of

[tex]\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}[/tex]

I need that the expression under the square root will be non-negative. The expression involves sin.

The sin function is non-negative at:

[tex]0\le\sqrt{x}\le\pi[/tex]

[tex]2\pi\le\sqrt{x}\le3\pi[/tex]

[tex]4\pi\le\sqrt{x}\le5\pi[/tex]

And so on. From this I need to extract about x.

The answer for this, which I don't know where came from is:

[tex]4k^{2}\pi^{2}\le x\le(2k+1)^{2}\pi^{2}[/tex]

How do I obtain the result from my information so far ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by observing that we require:

\(\displaystyle 2k\pi\le\sqrt{x}\le(2k+1)\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{N_0}\)

and:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\)

Now, what do you get when you square each part of the first inequality? Does the second still hold after doing so?

it should hold.

if [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is non-negative (and it is), then x also must be...

Related to Finding Domain of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$

1. What is the domain of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$?

The domain of a function refers to all the possible input values or independent variables for which the function is defined. In the case of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$, the function is defined for all non-negative real numbers, since the square root function is only defined for non-negative numbers and the sine function is defined for all real numbers.

2. Are there any restrictions on the input values for $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$?

Yes, the input values must be non-negative real numbers. If a negative number is inputted, the function will result in an imaginary number, which is not part of the real number system.

3. Can the domain of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$ be extended to include negative numbers?

No, the domain cannot be extended to include negative numbers as it would result in an imaginary number. The function is only defined for non-negative real numbers.

4. How can I determine the domain of a function like $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$?

To determine the domain of a function, you need to consider all the restrictions on the input values of the function. In the case of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$, the restrictions are that the input values must be non-negative real numbers.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when finding the domain of $\sqrt{sin(\sqrt{x})}$?

Yes, it is important to consider any other operations or functions within the main function. In this case, the sine function has a domain of all real numbers, so the only restriction is the square root function, which is defined for non-negative numbers.