Finding distance with known constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance a person travels in coming to a complete stop in 36 ms with a constant acceleration of 60g. The formula V1=Vo +at is used, with 60g being converted to 588.6 m/s^2. After solving for V1 and converting the time to seconds, the distance is calculated to be 0.76m. However, there is confusion about the correct formula and the mix-up between v1 and v0.
tater08
1. How far (in meters) does a person travel in coming to a complete stop in 36 ms at a constant acceleration of 60g?

2. X=Xo+ VoT and V1=Vo +at

3. I converted 60g into 588.6 m/s^2 and then plugged it into the V1 equation to Find V1 which turns out to be 21.1896 m/s (after converting 36 ms into 0.036 seconds). I then entered the 21 m/s into the X1 equation and X=0+21.1896 * 0.036. I keep getting x = 0.76m. I am not confident that I am doing this question right or what I should be doing but that is my logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
60g? Six, zero, g's?

yup 60 g's.

Last edited:
You've got v1 and v0 mixed up.

You are given v1; it is 0. You need to solve for v0. (and then make sure you've got your signs correct for both v and a.)

Last edited:

Related to Finding distance with known constant acceleration

1. What is the formula for finding distance with known constant acceleration?

The formula for finding distance with known constant acceleration is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you calculate the distance when acceleration is zero?

If the acceleration is zero, the formula for finding distance becomes d = v0t. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the initial velocity multiplied by the time.

3. Can you use the formula for finding distance with known constant acceleration for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration remains constant. This includes both uniform and non-uniform acceleration.

4. What is the unit of measurement for distance in this formula?

The unit of measurement for distance in this formula is meters (m). However, it can be converted to other units such as centimeters or kilometers, depending on the context of the problem.

5. Is there a specific direction for the distance when using this formula?

No, this formula does not specify a direction for the distance. It can be used to calculate the distance traveled in any direction, as long as the acceleration remains constant.