Finding dissociation constant for f-

In summary, the question is asking how to find the dissociation constant for F- when given the dissociation constant for HF. The conversation also mentions the Bronsted-Lowry theory and the need to know the analytical concentration of the acid in order to determine the pH of a solution. However, the question is poorly worded and may be related to the correlation between acids donating H+ and bases accepting H+.
LegitSci
If I'm given the dissociation constant for HF, how would I find the dissociation constant for F-?

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
F- doesn't dissociate.

Likes Bystander
So is it just the equal to the dissociation constant of the HF acid itself or something

I didn't really get the question either

My bet is that the question is related to the Bronsted-Lowry theory, just poorly worded.

Can you explain what you mean

Yes, but I don't see the correlation

It simply states that the acids donate H+ and bases accept H+

i understand the equation but I am not sure how to determine H30 concentration and HA- Concentration with just the acid dissociation constant for hydrofluoric acid

LegitSci said:
im not sure how to determine H30 concentration and HA- Concentration

HA- or A-?

Besides, just dissociation constant is not enough. You also need to know analytical (AKA total or formal) concentration of the acid. Then it is just a problem of finding pH of a solution of a weak acid, plenty of sites explaining how to do that (including the one I already linked to, just choose appropriate page using menu on the left).

Related to Finding dissociation constant for f-

What is dissociation constant?

Dissociation constant (Kd) is a measure of the strength of the interaction between a molecule and its target. It is the equilibrium constant for the dissociation reaction of a ligand from its receptor.

Why is it important to find the dissociation constant for a molecule?

Knowing the dissociation constant is important for understanding the binding affinity of a molecule for its target. This information can be used to design more effective drugs or to study the mechanism of action of a molecule.

How is the dissociation constant for a molecule determined?

The dissociation constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the binding affinity of the molecule for its target using techniques such as surface plasmon resonance, isothermal titration calorimetry, or fluorescence-based assays. It can also be calculated using mathematical models based on the equilibrium binding equation.

What factors can affect the dissociation constant?

The dissociation constant can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pH, ionic strength, and the presence of other molecules that can compete for binding to the target. Changes in these conditions can alter the strength of the interaction between the molecule and its target, thus affecting the dissociation constant.

How can the dissociation constant be used in drug development?

The dissociation constant is an important parameter in drug development as it can help in the selection of potential drug candidates with high binding affinity for the target. It can also be used to optimize the drug design process by providing insight into the structure-activity relationship of the molecule and its target interaction.