Finding Dimensions for Period of a Planet

In summary, the conversation is discussing Kepler's third law, which relates the period of a planet to its orbital radius, the constant G in Newton's law of gravitation, and the mass of the Sun. The student is trying to solve for the constant C in the equation T=C*ra*Mb*Gc, but is having trouble with the exponents. The correct solution is C = sqrt(GM)*r3/2.
clark1089

Homework Statement

Hi! This is from Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Vol. 6 by Tipler and Mosca.

44. Kepler's third law relates the period of a planet to its orbital radius r, the constant G in Newton's law of gravitation, and the mass of the Sun Ms . What combination of these factors gives the correct dimensions for the period of a planet?

Homework Equations

F = Gm1m2/r2
G = [L3/MT2]
T=C*ra*Mb*Gc

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to solve for C in the final equation given.

The big problem I'm having here comes after solving for the exponents in the third equation there...

[T] = [L]a[M]b[[L3/MT2]c

Next I distribute exponents and combine the like terms...

[T] = La+3cMb-cT-2c

Okay, now I solve for C using the T1 on the left side of the equation...

-2c = 1
c = -1/2

Now I have C, the other variables come to me... eheAHEUAEU

a+3(-1/2) = 0
b-c = 0
a = 3/2
b = -1/2

With the exponents solved for, I return to my original equation:

T=C*ra*Mb*Gc

Only now, I sub them in.

T=C*r3/2*M-1/2*G-1/2

THIS is where I have a problem! :( The answer given to this set was C = sqrt(GM)*r3/2.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I don't see how T gets removed or why the negative squareroots become positive while the 3/2 remains the same

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED ! :( So stuck :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Made a mistake with T^(-2a).. it's actually T^(-2c)! Fixed that mistake. Sorry :X

Still need help though... :(

Last edited:

Related to Finding Dimensions for Period of a Planet

1. What is the period of a planet?

The period of a planet refers to the time it takes for a planet to complete one orbit around its parent star.

2. How is the period of a planet calculated?

The period of a planet can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the period of a planet?

Yes, the period of a planet can be affected by the mass and distance of its parent star, the presence of other planets in the system, and the eccentricity of the planet's orbit.

4. Why is it important to find the dimensions for the period of a planet?

Knowing the period of a planet helps us understand its orbital characteristics and can provide valuable information about the planet's formation and evolution.

5. Can the period of a planet change over time?

Yes, the period of a planet can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other bodies in the system or external forces such as tidal forces.