Finding Density & Diameter at Inlet & Outlet

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the density and diameter at the inlet and outlet of a turbine. The heat loss mentioned did not affect the values needed. It was clarified that density can be found using pressure and temperature, and the diameter can be calculated using mass flow rates. The group also discussed the importance of round shapes in turbines and the strange numbers in the given problem. Ultimately, the conversation ended with the group discussing their solutions and realizing they had made a calculation error.
pyroknife
I attached the file.

I just wanted to clarify something.

All i need to find is the density @ inlet&outlet and the diameter at the outlet.

The heat loss they have shown has no impact on the values that were asked for right?

density can be found by pressure/(RT) where R=gas constant and T=temperature
And the diameter can be found by setting the mass flow at the inlet = mass flow at the outlet.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    24 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem states the inlet pressure is 45 psi. But the diagram shows 160 psi at inlet. The 45 psi is shown at the outlet. Something is amiss.

But to answer your question, if you know P and T, you can determine density. Knowing that you know the mass flow. The heat loss has no impact on the values asked. Conservation of mass will determine exit area.

Yeah I noticed that typo too. The prof said to assume it is 160 psi. Okay I thought so.

Basically my calculations for the density was pressure/(RT)
Where R=gas constant of air and T=temperature in rankineI just said set (density at inlet)*(Velocity at inlet)*(Area of inlet)=(density at outlet)*(Velocity at outlet)*(Area of outlet) and solved for the exit area.

But jst out of curiosity, all turbines have circular cross sections right?

A round shape is the easiest to machine and therefore costs less. Exhaust pipes are subject to thermal stresses due to piping wanting to expand radially and axially at startup. If it were square or had any corners, you would have built in 'stress risers' that would make it more prone to failure. Round is best for any number of reasons.

LawrenceC said:
A round shape is the easiest to machine and therefore costs less. Exhaust pipes are subject to thermal stresses due to piping wanting to expand radially and axially at startup. If it were square or had any corners, you would have built in 'stress risers' that would make it more prone to failure. Round is best for any number of reasons.

Oh okay, I just solved the problem, but something weird happened.

The way the picture is drawn, the outlet area should be bigger, but the area I got issmaller than the inlet.

Last edited:
Yes, I also end up with a larger exit area. But rho*A*V = constant. Working fluid is air. If you know pressure and temperature, you then know density. The trapezoid symbols used for compressors and turbines in thermo texts are meant to infer the working fluid is compressed or expanded. The numbers in this problem are strange.

LawrenceC said:
Yes, I also end up with a larger exit area. But rho*A*V = constant. Working fluid is air. If you know pressure and temperature, you then know density. The trapezoid symbols used for compressors and turbines in thermo texts are meant to infer the working fluid is compressed or expanded. The numbers in this problem are strange.

Thanks. did you get diameter = 0.453 ft?

I talked to a friend. He says turbines are supposed to have a smaller outlet area than inlet. And that the figure is drawn like a diffuser instead of a tirbine.

I do not calculate 0.453 ft^2. I get a little over 23 in^2 which is 0.16 ft^2.

First I calculated the two densities
At 1: density=P1/(RT1)
P1=(160 lb/in^2 * 12in^2 / 1ft^2)
R=(1716 ft*lbf/(slug*R)
T1=320+460 R
P1= .0172 slug/ft^3

P2=45 lb/in^2 * 12in^2/1ft^2
R=1716 ftlb/(slugR)
T2=50+460 R
Density 2=.0074 slug/ft^3

COnservation of mass:
(.0172)(30/144 ft^2)(100ft/s)=.0072 slug/ft^3 * 300 ft/s * A2
A2=.1614 ft^2
Diameter=.453 ft

Crap! I just wrote this all out for no reason. I meant I got diameter=.453 ft. I got Area=.16 ft^2 as well.

Related to Finding Density & Diameter at Inlet & Outlet

1. What is the purpose of finding density and diameter at the inlet and outlet?

The purpose of finding density and diameter at the inlet and outlet is to understand the flow behavior of a substance through a system. By knowing the density and diameter, scientists can calculate the mass flow rate and velocity of the substance, which can help in designing and optimizing the system for efficient performance.

2. How do you calculate density and diameter at the inlet and outlet?

Density and diameter can be calculated using various methods such as experimental measurements, mathematical models, and simulations. Experimental measurements involve physically measuring the density and diameter of the substance at the inlet and outlet using specialized instruments. Mathematical models use equations and theoretical principles to estimate the density and diameter. Simulations use computer software to simulate the flow behavior and calculate the density and diameter.

3. Why is it important to know the density and diameter at the inlet and outlet?

Knowing the density and diameter at the inlet and outlet is important for various reasons. It helps in understanding the mass and energy balance of the system, which is crucial in industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and food processing. It also helps in predicting the behavior and performance of the system and identifying any potential issues or inefficiencies.

4. Can the density and diameter at the inlet and outlet change over time?

Yes, the density and diameter at the inlet and outlet can change over time due to various factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, and composition of the substance. These changes can affect the flow behavior and overall performance of the system, which is why it is important to regularly monitor and update the density and diameter values.

5. What are some common methods for measuring density and diameter at the inlet and outlet?

Some common methods for measuring density and diameter at the inlet and outlet include using flow meters, pressure gauges, thermometers, and density meters. These instruments provide real-time measurements and are commonly used in industrial settings. Other methods such as mathematical models and simulations can also be used for estimating the density and diameter.