Finding deceleration of a ball?

In summary, the equation for deceleration is a=(v-u)/t, where v is the speed of the ball after being hit, and u is the initial speed. The ball was initially at rest, and then it was hit by a bat.
Amelina Yoo

Homework Statement

How to find deceleration of a ball that is hit, given the ball:
mass=0.1kg
F=20N
is hit by a bat for 0.01s
has an acceleration of 200ms^-2 when hit by bat
speed=2m per sec
travels 0.01m as it is being hit by the bat
Was initially at rest.

Homework Equations

a=(v-u)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the acceleration formula, I had swapped the positions of u and t, resulting in -200ms^-2, which is wrong. The answer is 2ms^-2, and I am not sure how to go about this. Please help me in getting this qu started! Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm nit sure I understand the problem. What is the initial state of the ball before being hit?

DrClaude said:
I'm nit sure I understand the problem. What is the initial state of the ball before being hit?
The ball was at rest, and then it was hit by a bat.

Sorry! I will include it in the above now.

Ok. And is the following information
Amelina Yoo said:
mass=0.1kg
F=20N
is hit by a bat for 0.01s
has an acceleration of 200ms^-2
speed=2m per sec
travels 0.01m as it is hit by the bat
all given in the problem, or did you calculate some of those values?

DrClaude said:
Ok. And is the following information

all given in the problem, or did you calculate some of those values?
The mass, force, and time was given in the question, and the remainder I calculated.
The ones I calculated are correct, when referring to the answers.

This is muddled. Please always post the question as it is asked (that's the only thing that should appear in the first section of the template). I don't understand the deceleration that is mentioned.

So, what exactly is the question being asked?

Related to Finding deceleration of a ball?

What is deceleration?

Deceleration, also known as negative acceleration, is the rate at which an object slows down. It is the opposite of acceleration, which is the rate at which an object speeds up.

How is deceleration different from acceleration?

Deceleration and acceleration are opposite forces. Deceleration is the rate at which an object slows down, while acceleration is the rate at which an object speeds up. Deceleration is often represented by a negative value, while acceleration is represented by a positive value.

What factors affect the deceleration of a ball?

The deceleration of a ball can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the mass of the ball, the surface it is rolling on, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The shape and size of the ball can also influence its deceleration.

How is deceleration measured?

Deceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. It can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

How can the deceleration of a ball be determined experimentally?

The deceleration of a ball can be determined experimentally by measuring its initial and final velocities as it travels a known distance, and then using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to calculate the deceleration. This can be repeated multiple times to get an average deceleration. Other methods, such as using motion sensors or video analysis, can also be used to determine deceleration.