Finding DC Supply Total Current, Resistance & Voltage

In summary, the formula for calculating total current in a DC circuit is I = V/R. The resistance of a circuit component can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or by measuring the voltage and current and using the formula R = V/I. The unit of measurement for resistance is the ohm (Ω). It is not possible to calculate voltage without knowing the current or resistance. To measure voltage and current in a circuit, you will need a voltmeter and an ammeter, respectively, and it is important to follow safety precautions.
Cbray
1) How do i Determine the total current provided by a DC supply?
2) Total Effective Resistance
3) Total Voltage

Asking these questions for a friend, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
the questions as stated are not meaningful with no context except for the 3rd one which doesn't quite make sense. The "Total Voltage" of a, say, 10volt DC power supply is 10 volts. Why would it be otherwise?

Sorry about the small amount of information, I might grab some more information from him later, thanks!

Related to Finding DC Supply Total Current, Resistance & Voltage

1. What is the formula for calculating total current in a DC circuit?

The formula for calculating total current in a DC circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a circuit component?

The resistance of a circuit component can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current (R = V/I). Alternatively, the resistance can also be calculated by measuring the voltage across the component and the current flowing through it, and then using the formula R = V/I.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is the ohm (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who first discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

4. Is there a way to calculate voltage without knowing the current or resistance?

No, it is not possible to calculate voltage without knowing the current or resistance in a circuit. These three variables (voltage, current, and resistance) are interrelated and are all necessary for calculating the values of the others using Ohm's Law.

5. How do I measure the voltage and current in a circuit?

To measure voltage and current in a circuit, you will need a voltmeter and an ammeter, respectively. These are electronic instruments that are connected in parallel and series, respectively, to the circuit to measure the voltage and current. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when using these instruments.