Finding current through in a specific part of a parallel circuit.

Kirchhoff's Laws to solve the problem.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two batteries and the question of finding the current, I1, to the nearest hundredth of an amp. The conversation also mentions using Kirchhoff's Laws to solve the problem and the resistance value of the whole system.
aliciao

Homework Statement

In this circuit E1 = 5.98 volts and E2 = 4.45 volts. To the nearest hundredth of an amp what is I1?

I have attatched a picture
Physics problem.gif

Homework Equations

V=IR

1/Req=1/R1+ 1/R2+ 1/R3

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I think I know that resistance for the whole system is 20/3... But I really don't know how to set it all up because I have never used more than one battery in a problem before and it really doesn't look like this would make a correct circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Kirchhoff's Laws? The resistors are not connected in parallel, as only one terminal of them is common with that of an other resistor, the other is connected to a battery. ehild

Related to Finding current through in a specific part of a parallel circuit.

1. How do I find the current through a specific part of a parallel circuit?

To find the current through a specific part of a parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction). You will also need to know the voltage of the circuit and the resistance of the specific part you are interested in.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flowing through each component is the same. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is split between the branches and the total current is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.

3. Can I use a multimeter to find the current through a specific part of a parallel circuit?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to measure the current through a specific part of a parallel circuit. Set the multimeter to measure current (amps) and place the probes in series with the component you want to measure. Make sure to select the appropriate range on the multimeter based on the expected current value.

4. How does the current change in a parallel circuit if more components are added?

In a parallel circuit, adding more components will decrease the overall resistance and increase the total current. This is because the more branches there are in the circuit, the more paths the current can take, resulting in less resistance and therefore a higher current flow.

5. Can the current through a specific part of a parallel circuit ever be greater than the total current?

No, the current through a specific part of a parallel circuit can never be greater than the total current. This is due to Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction. In a parallel circuit, the total current is split between the branches, so the sum of the currents in each branch can never exceed the total current.