Finding current in parallel RLC Circuit

In summary: Also, I cannot figure out why the result is so accurate, what is the science behind this equation?How does the equation above work, the one with the right angle triangle?I'm sorry if I'm being a bother. But for example in the right angle triangle you have the opposites and the adjacent, but in this case we only have the reactances, how does it work?I am sorry, I mixed up the formulae, the correct one is 1/Z=1/R+i(-1/XL+1/XC) where XL=ωL,XC=1/(ωC) and i is the imaginary unit. I edited the original post.
Mrhu

Homework Statement

A parallel RLC circuit with every component in parallel.
The resistance is 120 Ohm, the reactanse over the capacitor is 150 Ohm and the reactanse over the inductor is 70 Ohm. The total current is equal to 100mA.

Calculate the current passing through the inductance.

Homework Equations

Look below...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been searching the web for equations to calculate the total impedance of a parallel RLC.
I am not familiar with the names of inverse resistance and inverse reactance so they will be written as 1/R.

I found one equation saying...
(1/Z)^2=(1/R)^2+(1/XL-1/XC)^2

By using that equation , I calculated the total impedance. Then by using the total current calculated the Power source voltage. Which equals 8.9 V, then via Ohms law came to the conclusion that the current through the inductance is equal to 127mA.

This result works wery well with the right angle triangle, using the Pyth. Teorem.

The paper we got says that the current should equal 9.5mA, have I done something wrong?

Some places I just see the equation
1/Z=1/R+1/XL-1/XC
Are both correct?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Mrhu! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Mrhu said:
A parallel RLC circuit with every component in parallel.
The resistance is 120 Ohm, the reactanse over the capacitor is 150 Ohm and the reactanse over the inductor is 70 Ohm. The total current is equal to 100mA.

Calculate the current passing through the inductance.

But what is the frequency? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mrhu! Welcome to PF! :smile:But what is the frequency? :confused:

Hi Tim! Thank you

The frequency is not given, would it be to any use?
We know the resistance and reactances plus the total current, is that not sufficient?

Last edited:
Mrhu said:
By using that equation , I calculated the total impedance. Then by using the total current calculated the Power source voltage. Which equals 8.9 V, then via Ohms law came to the conclusion that the current through the inductance is equal to 127mA.

This result works wery well with the right angle triangle, using the Pyth. Teorem.

The paper we got says that the current should equal 9.5mA, have I done something wrong?

No, your solution looks completely correct.

Mrhu said:
Some places I just see the equation
1/Z=1/R+1/XL-1/XC
Are both correct?

Many thanks in advance!

No, 1/Z=1/R+1/XL-1/XC is not correct. When people calculate with complex impedances, (Z a complex number) they can write 1/Z=1/R+i(-1/XL+1/XC) where XL=ωL,XC=1/(ωC) and i is the imaginary unit. I guess you have not learned about complex impedances yet, but it would yield the same result.

ehild

ehild said:
No, your solution looks completely correct.

No, 1/Z=1/R+1/XL-1/XC is not correct. When people calculate with complex impedances, (Z a complex number) they can write 1/Z=1/R+i(-1/XL+1/XC) where XL=ωL,XC=1/(ωC) and i is the imaginary unit. I guess you have not learned about complex impedances yet, but it would yield the same result.

ehild

Glad to hear that, we have used complex numbers in math but have not applied them to Physics yet.

But how does one come to the equation: (1/Z)^2=(1/R)^2+(1/XL-1/XC)^2?
Considering how the equation looks I would say that they relate to each other by a right angle triangle.
How come?

Is it because the voltage across the components are equal, so the proportions of the currents are equal to the reactances? We have learned how the currents are related.

If you studied complex numbers, you know how to find the magnitude from the real and imaginary components. If z=u+iv, |z|^2=u^2+v^2. Complex numbers are similar to two-dimensional vectors.
The impedance of a resistor is 1/R, those of an inductor and a capacitor are iωL and -j/(ωC), respectively.
In the parallel RLC circuit, the reciprocal impedances ("admittance " is the name) add up. You are right, it is because the voltage is the same across each component and the currents add. Current is voltage/impedance. I=V/R+V/(iωL)+V/(-i/ωC)=V(1/R+i(ωC-1/(ωL)).

Sometimes the complex admittance is denoted by Y, so I=YV
The admittance of a resistor is 1/R, those for the inductor and capacitor are -i/(ωL) and iωC.

The total admittance is Y=1/R+i(ωC-1/(ωL)). It is a complex number with real part 1/R and imaginary part ωC-1/(ωL). You find the magnitude by adding the squares of the real and imaginary parts and taking the square root.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
If you studied complex numbers, you know how to find the magnitude from the real and imaginary components. If z=u+iv, |z|^2=u^2+v^2.
The impedance of a resistor is 1/R, those of an inductor and a capacitor are iωL and -j/(ωC), respectively.
In the parallel RLC circuit, the reciprocal impedances ("admittance " is the name) add up. You are right, it is because the voltage is the same across each component and the currents add. Current is voltage/impedance.

Sometimes the complex admittance is denoted by Y.
The admittance of a resistor is 1/R, those for the inductor and capacitor are -i/(ωL) and iωC.

The total admittance is Y=1/R+i(ωC-1/(ωL)). It is a complex number with real part 1/R and imaginary part ωC-1/(ωL). You find the magnitude by adding the squares of the real and imaginary parts and taking the square root.

ehild

Many, many thanks!
It really makes sense when you put it like that.

Grateful for the quick and understandable answers!

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

Mrhu said:
The frequency is not given, would it be to any use?
We know the resistance and reactances plus the total current, is that not sufficient?

ah, i didn't read the question properly! :redface:

although the impedance of a capacitor or inductor always depends on ω (the frequency),

the question gave you the reactance (in ohms), which includes ω, so (as ehild :smile: has showed) you didn't need ω

tiny-tim said:
ah, i didn't read the question properly! :redface:

although the ] of a capacitor or inductor always depends on ω (the frequency),

the question gave you the reactance (in ohms), which includes ω, so (as ehild :smile: has showed) you didn't need ω

No worries, if it makes you feel any better I felt that the frequency and peak voltage was missing as well.

As you're saying omega is important.

Mrhu said:
I felt that the frequency and peak voltage was missing as well.

When the value of voltage or current is given for an AC circuit, it is usually understood as the rms voltage or current (The peak value divided by √2.n 100 mA total current means 100√2 mA peak current supplied by the AC generator.
The value of reactance refers to a certain ω (which was not specified in this problem).

ehild

Related to Finding current in parallel RLC Circuit

1. What is a parallel RLC circuit?

A parallel RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that the components are connected side by side, with the same voltage across each component.

2. How do you find the current in a parallel RLC circuit?

To find the current in a parallel RLC circuit, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the total resistance of the circuit. Alternatively, you can also use Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the total current flowing into a junction is equal to the total current flowing out of the junction.

3. What factors affect the current in a parallel RLC circuit?

The current in a parallel RLC circuit is affected by the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the frequency of the AC power source. The current will also be affected by the quality factor (Q) of the circuit, which is a measure of the energy dissipation in the circuit.

4. How does the current in a parallel RLC circuit change with frequency?

The current in a parallel RLC circuit will change with frequency due to the different impedance values of the components at different frequencies. At the resonant frequency, the current will be at its maximum value, and it will decrease as the frequency moves away from the resonant frequency.

5. Can you use Ohm's Law to find the current in a parallel RLC circuit?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used to find the current in a parallel RLC circuit. However, it should be noted that this law only applies to the resistor in the circuit. To find the total current, you will need to use either the formula I = V/R or Kirchhoff's current law.