Finding current in a resistor circuit

In summary: And if V_A and V_B are equal, then V_A - V_B = 0. And if there is no voltage difference, there can be no current flow.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of V_A and V_B, as well as the magnitude and direction of the current through a jumper connecting two nodes. Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws are mentioned as possible methods for finding the current, but it is ultimately determined that the current is zero due to the symmetry of the circuit. Additionally, it is noted that if the voltage difference between V_A and V_B were not zero, there would be a current through the jumper.
mjjaques

Homework Statement

hwproblem.jpg

There are several parts, but the part I'm stuck on is: what happens if a jumper is placed from node A to node B? Calculate V_A and V_B, and magnitude and direction of the current through the jumper. The resistor values are R1=R2=2 kohms, R3=R4=1 kohm.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Okay, so I know that connecting a wire between A and B will make V_A=V_B. I was wondering if there's an intuitive way to find the current quickly without using Kirchhoff's loop rules. I tried Kirchhoff's voltage law and it seems that the current is zero. But I'm not sure if I'm right.

Physics news on Phys.org
mjjaques said:
I tried Kirchhoff's voltage law and it seems that the current is zero. But I'm not sure if I'm right.

Correct. Once you short the middle part, you can combine the upper resistors into their parallel combination value, and the same with the lower ones.

If you used a resistor instead of a shorting wire to connect A to B, the answer might be different. :smile:

Last edited:
mjjaques said:
Okay, so I know that connecting a wire between A and B will make V_A=V_B. I was wondering if there's an intuitive way to find the current quickly without using Kirchhoff's loop rules. I tried Kirchhoff's voltage law and it seems that the current is zero. But I'm not sure if I'm right.
You could take advantage of the symmetry of the situation. Pencil in the given resistor values on the diagram. Can you "see" what the values of V_A and V_B will be (before connecting the jumper betwixt them)? Does that suggest anything about what the jumper current might be once it's connected?

So before connecting the jumpers, V_A and V_B are already equal, using the voltage divider equation right? They're both 2.5 V. If they weren't equal before, would there be a current through the jumper?

mjjaques said:
So before connecting the jumpers, V_A and V_B are already equal, using the voltage divider equation right? They're both 2.5 V. If they weren't equal before, would there be a current through the jumper?
Right.

Related to Finding current in a resistor circuit

1. What is the formula for calculating current in a resistor circuit?

The formula for calculating current in a resistor circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How does the number of resistors in a circuit affect the current?

The number of resistors in a circuit does not affect the current. Each resistor in the circuit will have the same current flowing through it as the total current in the circuit.

3. How does the resistance of a resistor affect the current?

The resistance of a resistor is directly proportional to the current in a circuit. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A).

5. Can current flow through a circuit without a resistor?

Yes, current can flow through a circuit without a resistor, but it may not be safe or efficient. A resistor is used to control the flow of current and prevent damage to the circuit or components.