Finding Critical Points of a Dynamical System.

In summary, the critical points for this dynamical system are located at $(-1,\dfrac{2}{5},0)\) and $(\dfrac{25}{8},\dfrac{5}{18},-\dfrac{5}{8}).
the_doors
Hello guys . I obtained a 3 dimensional dynamical system , how can I find its critical points with using software ? I tried it handy but its too involved to compute handy .

Physics news on Phys.org
thecoop said:
Hello guys . I obtained a 3 dimensional dynamical system , how can I find its critical points with using software ? I tried it handy but its too involved to compute handy .

Hi thecoop, :)

Welcome to MHB! What are the equations governing your dynamical system?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

thank you

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi thecoop,

I can't help you with your question but do have a question for you. What software did you write the equations with in your attachment? Was it Latex by any chance? Or was it with Microsoft Word? If either of those then I can show you how to use or convert to Latex that can be used on MHB.

If you already know Latex then http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f26/how-use-latex-site-27/ will show you how to use it on MHB. Someone will help you soon enough I am sure but in the meantime welcome to MHB! :)

Jameson

thecoop said:
thank you

Generally, I believe you want to uncouple one equation from the other two but I don't know if that is possible with your equations.

The dynamical system is governed by the system of ODE...

$\displaystyle x^{\ '} (t)= f_{x} \{ x(t), y(t), z(t) \}$

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} (t)= f_{y} \{ x(t), y(t), z(t) \}$

$\displaystyle z^{\ '} (t)= f_{z} \{ x(t), y(t), z(t) \}$

... and its 'critcal points' are the solution of the system of equations...

$\displaystyle f_{x} ( x, y, z ) =0$

$\displaystyle f_{y} ( x, y, z )=0$

$\displaystyle f_{z} ( x, y, z )=0$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I got two critical points:

$ \left(-1,\dfrac{2}{5},0\right)$ and $\left (\dfrac{25}{8}, \dfrac{5}{18},-\dfrac{5}{8}\right)$.

This is how I got these. First set each of the right hand sides of your three equation to zero as Chisigma said noting that $y \ne 0$ due to the division by $y$. From the second we have

$-\dfrac{1}{4}\left(x+4z-4 \right) y+\dfrac{1}{4}\,x-\dfrac{1}{4}\,{x}^{2}-\dfrac{5}{4}\,xz+z-{z}^{2} = 0$which we can solve for $y$ provided that $x+4z-4 \ne 0 $ so we consider this case first.

If $x = 4 - 4z$ then the second equation becomes $3z-3 = 0$ giving $z = 1$ and in turn $x = 0$. The first and third equations becomes $-3$ and $5$ respectively which is inadmissible since these are both to be zero. Thus, we can conclude $x+4z-4 \ne 0 $.

Solve the second equation for $y$ gives

$y = \dfrac{(x+4 z) (x+z-1)}{x+4 z-4}$ noting that $x + 4z \ne 0$ as this would give $y = 0$.

Simplifying equations (1) and (3) gives

$-{\dfrac {{x}^{2}+9\,xz+x+12\,{z}^{2}}{x+4\,z}} = 0$ and $\,{\dfrac { \left( x+5\,z \right) z}{x+4\,z}}=0$.

These second of these gives rise to two cases and the critical point fall out.

Related to Finding Critical Points of a Dynamical System.

What is a critical point of a dynamical system?

A critical point of a dynamical system is a state at which the system remains unchanged over time. It is a point where the derivative of the system's state with respect to time is equal to zero, meaning there is no change in the system's behavior.

How do you find critical points of a dynamical system?

To find critical points of a dynamical system, you must first set up the equations that describe the system's behavior. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as differentiation and solving systems of equations to find the points where the system's derivative is equal to zero.

Why is finding critical points important in studying dynamical systems?

Finding critical points allows us to understand the behavior of a dynamical system by identifying the states where the system remains unchanged. These points can also provide insight into the stability of the system and its long-term behavior.

What are some methods for finding critical points of a dynamical system?

Some common methods for finding critical points of a dynamical system include setting the derivative of the system's state with respect to time equal to zero and solving for the state variables, using computational tools such as software programs or graphing calculators, and using numerical methods such as Newton's method or gradient descent.

Are critical points the only important points in a dynamical system?

No, critical points are not the only important points in a dynamical system. Other important points include stable and unstable equilibrium points, limit cycles, and bifurcation points. These points can also provide valuable information about the behavior of the system.