Finding Cosine of an Angle in 3D space

In summary: I guess I was just over thinking it like crazy! Thank you so much!In summary, we have a line given in parametric form and we must find the cosine of the angles it makes with the coordinate axes. This can be done using the dot product of a vector parallel to the line with unit vectors on the coordinate axes. The magnitude of the vector [cosa, cosb, cosc] can be found using the dot product with itself. This vector also represents the direction of the line.
hunt3rshadow

Homework Statement

a) Find the cosine of the angles that the line r = [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ] makes with the coordinate axes.

b) If a,b and c are the angles that the line makes with the x,y and z axis respectively, find the value of cos^2a + cos^2b + cos^2c.

c) What is the magnitude of the vector [cosa,cosb,cosc]

d) What can you say about the direction of the vector [cosa,cosb,cosc] and the direction of the vector line?

Homework Equations

I believe we have to use CosTheta = r . t / |r||t| but it doesn't seem right because this is a vector equation involving direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hunt3rshadow said:

Homework Statement

a) Find the cosine of the angles that the line r = [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ] makes with the coordinate axes.

b) If a,b and c are the angles that the line makes with the x,y and z axis respectively, find the value of cos^2a + cos^2b + cos^2c.

d) What can you say about the direction of the vector [cosa,cosb,cosc] and the direction of the vector line?

Homework Equations

I believe we have to use CosTheta = r . t / |r||t| but it doesn't seem right because this is a vector equation involving direction.
Actually, you'll want to use the dot product of a vector that is parallel to the line with unit vectors on your coordinate axes. So if you construct vector [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] to lie parallel to your line, then
[tex] cosa = \frac{\vec{r} \cdot \hat{i}}{|\vec{r}||\hat{i}|} [/tex]
and so on for the unit vectors [itex] \hat{i},\hat{j},\hat{k} [/itex] to yield cosa, cosb, cosc.
. . .

Some final notes: When it is asking for cosines of the angles, are they asking for more then one? And also it asks for each coordinate axes, does that mean we have to find it for x , y and z? Finally, I'm not sure if this belongs here because the course is called Calculus and Vectors, so this type of question is more math based rather then physics, but I'm hoping you guys can still help! Thanks

Yes, there will be three angle cosines to find, one for each axes of the coordinate system.

Your first step should be to find a vector r that is parallel to your line.

How do I find a the line parallel to R?

hunt3rshadow said:
How do I find a the line parallel to R?

You have a line given in parametric form: [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ]. The [-3,2,5] bit is just an offset. You could shift the line to pass through the origin by subtracting this offset, and the result would obviously be a line that is parallel to the original. Thus the line r' = t [2,2,√2 ] is parallel to the original line. Plug in any value of t that you like (1 is a good choice!) to find a vector that lies in the line.

hunt3rshadow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially that above

a) (-3)(2)+(2)(2)+(5)(√2) /(√9+4+25)(√4+4+2)

Cos-1 of the number is 74 degrees.

b) c) and d) I am completely lost because I do not understand where I'm suppose to find those values. That most likely means I did a) incorrect.

Some final notes: When it is asking for cosines of the angles, are they asking for more then one? And also it asks for each coordinate axes, does that mean we have to find it for x , y and z? Finally, I'm not sure if this belongs here because the course is called Calculus and Vectors, so this type of question is more math based rather then physics, but I'm hoping you guys can still help! Thanks
Hello hunt3rshadow. Welcome to PF !

Usually you should post no more than two questions when opening a thread. These all look fairly closely related, so I suppose it's OK.

I'll try to get you headed in the right direction, but it's up to you to actually solve the problem(s).

For (a):
The vector, r = [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ], is a position vector having its tail at the origin, and its head it the point (x, y, z) = ( -3 + 2t, 2 + 2t, 5 + (√2)t ), i.e.
x = -3 + 2t,
y = 2 + 2t,
z = 5 + (√2)t .​
As t goes from -∞ to +∞, the head of vector r(t) traces a straight line. The vector [-3,2,5], has nothing to do with the direction of this line. It only specifies the location of a point, (-3,2,5), on the line that corresponds to t = 0. The direction is given by the vector that t multiplies, namely, [2,2,(√2) ]. Note that this is also equal to dr/dt.
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{d\textbf{r}}{dt}=\ \left<2,2,\sqrt{2}\ \right>[/itex]​

You have to find the cosine of the angle this vector makes with respect to (w.r.t) the x-axis, ... then the cosine of the angle this vector makes w.r.t. the y-axis,... then the cosine of the angle this vector makes w.r.t. the z-axis.

The x-axis is in the direction of [1, 0, 0].
This is where you use that equation you have:

[itex]\displaystyle\cos(\theta)=\frac{ \left\langle 2,\,2,\,\sqrt{2} \right\rangle\cdot \left\langle 1,\,0,\,0 \right\rangle}{\left| \left\langle 2,\,2,\,\sqrt{2} \right\rangle \right|\ \left| \left\langle 1,\,0,\,0 \right\rangle \right|}[/itex]

Do similarly for the other two axes.

Oh my gosh guys I really owe you! You two made it seem so easy :cry:

Last edited:
hunt3rshadow said:
Oh my gosh guys I really owe you! You two made it seem so easy :cry:

And sorry about that, I didn't know you could only post one question per thread, they were kinda connected so I thought it was okay! I'll keep that in mind next time.
I'm going out to eat but I understand the gist of the question now. I'll do it when I get home and post the answers to see if I did it correctly. Thanks again!

EDIT: I just tried connecting gneill and SammyS's explanations and there is one contrast I'm slightly confused about. gneill you said to use a parallel line while sammyS chose to use a coordinate which lies on the x,y,z axis (i.e 1,0,0). Maybe I misread the explanation but can somebody tell me the difference between the two or will the answers be the same?
A vector parallel to the line is the vector < 2, 2, (√2) > . That's basically the dr/dt vector I discussed.

Ahh I see, thanks.

Last edited:
hunt3rshadow said:
Ahh I see, thanks. I got a) :D

Now I'm abit confused on b). I have the angles that the lines make with the x,y,z coordinates. How do I insert it into the eqtn cos^2a + cos^2b + cos^2c? Am I just squaring the angles and adding them? Sorry for so many questions, I'm not good with these concepts.

Just do as the formula states and add the sum of the squares of the cosines of the angles; you don't need to find the angles themselves, just use the cosines. The result should be particularly satisfying :wink:.

so much more simple then I imagined! Thanks

Related to Finding Cosine of an Angle in 3D space

1. How do you find the cosine of an angle in 3D space?

To find the cosine of an angle in 3D space, you can use the dot product formula: cosθ = (A dot B) / (|A| * |B|), where A and B are vectors representing two sides of the angle, and |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of those vectors.

2. Can you explain the concept of cosine in 3D space?

Cosine is a mathematical function that calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. In 3D space, cosine can also be used to find the angle between two vectors or sides of a shape.

3. What is the range of values for the cosine of an angle in 3D space?

The cosine of an angle in 3D space can range from -1 to 1. An angle with a cosine of -1 is considered to be perpendicular, while an angle with a cosine of 1 is considered to be parallel.

4. How is the cosine of an angle in 3D space related to other trigonometric functions?

The cosine of an angle in 3D space is related to other trigonometric functions such as sine and tangent. Sine is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while tangent is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the cosine of an angle in 3D space?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the cosine of an angle in 3D space. Some examples include calculating the angle of elevation or depression in surveying and engineering, determining the direction of forces in physics, and analyzing the orientation of objects in computer graphics.