Finding Complex Roots: Poles of $ \frac{1}{{z^4}+4} $, {z: |z-1| LE 2}

In summary, the conversation discusses finding poles for the function $\frac{1}{z^4+4}$, with a given condition for $z$. The formula for finding roots using the exponential form is mentioned and confirmed as correct. There is a discrepancy between the given answer and the calculated poles, which is resolved by considering the value of $\pi$ as the starting value in the formula, instead of $0$. The conversation also mentions a related exercise for further practice.
ognik
I think I'm a bit rusty here, started with finding poles for $ \frac{1}{{z^4}+4} $, {z: |z-1| LE 2}

1) Out of interest, is there a complex equivalent of the rational roots test? The above function is obvious, but for a poly that has both real and complex roots?

2) I am using the exponential form to find roots, ie for n roots, $ {z}_{k+1} = r^{-n}e^{i(\frac{\theta}{n} + k\frac{2\pi}{n})}, k=0,\pm1,\pm2...\pm(n-1) $ - is this formula correct? Is there a better way?

3) Using the above, $ (\theta = 0) $, I get the 4 poles to be $ {z}_{k+1} = \sqrt{2}e^{i( k\frac{2\pi}{n})} = \pm\sqrt{2}, \pm\sqrt{2}i $, but the answer given is $ \pm1 \pm i $, can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If $z^4+4 = 0$ then $z^4 = -4 = 4e^{i\pi}$. The fourth roots are given by $z = \sqrt2e^{i(2k+1)\pi/4}$.

Also, it can be useful the exersise 5 b) here.

Thanks both.

Fernando, the useful exercises you linked to, uses basically the same formula I had (although in CIS form) - except for the starting value, where they use pi - please tell me why pi and not 0?

ognik said:
Fernando, the useful exercises you linked to, uses basically the same formula I had (although in CIS form) - except for the starting value, where they use pi - please tell me why pi and not 0?
Take into accont that $4=4(\cos 0+i\sin 0)$ and $-4=4(\cos \pi +i\sin \pi).$

Of course, I should have thought of that myself, thanks Fernando.

(May I ask if you wouldn't mind having a look at an earlier post please - http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/find-coefficiant-laurent-series-without-using-residue-15997.html)

Last edited:

Related to Finding Complex Roots: Poles of $ \frac{1}{{z^4}+4} $, {z: |z-1| LE 2}

1. What is the definition of "complex roots"?

Complex roots are solutions to equations involving complex numbers. They are represented as points on the complex plane, with the real part of the complex number representing the x-coordinate and the imaginary part representing the y-coordinate.

2. What is the significance of "poles" in this equation?

In this equation, poles refer to the points on the complex plane where the function becomes undefined or infinite. These points are important because they can help us understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential issues.

3. How do you determine the poles of this function?

To find the poles of the function $ \frac{1}{{z^4}+4} $, we first set the denominator equal to zero and solve for z. In this case, we get $z^4=-4$, which has four complex solutions: $z=\pm\sqrt{2}i$ and $z=\pm\sqrt{2}i$. These four points are the poles of the function.

4. What is the significance of the condition "z: |z-1| LE 2"?

This condition limits the values of z that we are interested in to those that are within a distance of 2 units from the point z=1. This helps us focus on a specific region of the complex plane and analyze the behavior of the function in that region.

5. How do we interpret the results of this equation in terms of the complex plane?

The results of this equation can be interpreted as the points on the complex plane where the function $ \frac{1}{{z^4}+4} $ has a value of zero. These points can be represented as x-y coordinates on the complex plane and can help us visualize the behavior of the function in that region.